Vihtavouri in 300 wsm?

diderr

What is the best Vihtavouri powder to use in the 300 wsm? I would like to see if I can produce a more accurate load with Vihtavouri vs H4831sc. what would be the type of powder most similar to H4831?

I think shortmagman loads V V powder in one or two of his WSM's. I think one of em is Memphistigersfan's 300WSM.
You may want to fling him a P.M.

N-165 would be the closest in Viht's line to H-4831SC.

N-560 would be another option. It's a high energy powder. I've had good succes with it in my father's 300 WSM with 168 gr. Nosler BT.

Last edited:
As Winmag stated I have used a number of Vihtavouri powders in my 300WSM's.

For the 165-68 grain bullets I have had good success with N550. With 185-90 grainers N165 worked very well. I have also used N560 with the heavier bullets but my success was not as good as with N165, so I think that you need to match the bullet weight with which powder you choose.

As far as comparing burn rate with H4831 I am not an expert, but I think N165 is a little slower than H4831 but it is very close. I have loaded N165 in a 270 Winchester and it takes just a bit more to achieve the velocity of H4831 but it worked great in my Ruger.

Thanks for all the input. My local dealer only carries two kinds of Vihtavouri; n110 and one of the 500 series but it wasnt 560. I might just stick with my h4831sc vs the other option of ordering powder online.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.