Vias or Hollard for 300 Ultra PSS

flyfishn

I need your help I am building a Renington 700 PSS in 300 Ultra Jewel trigger, badger base, rings, bolt knob and floor plate, action glass bedded abdd the barrel eill be set back for free boring. Scope Mk4 4 8.5 x 25 or S & B PM II not sure whick yet. I don't know what to do about a muzzle break and I need your help. How is the Norna brass.
Thanks

Brock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Both work vey well and both will raise the noise level at the gun , I think that the Holland has a little more high pitch noise but both are loud
both work realy well , som things you want to think about are
will you EVER shoot the gun from the ground in prone position if so then the vias is gonna get you dirty from blowing up dirt from under the muzzel because its ported their and the Holland isin't.

In my oppinion I'd get brake from either Shawn Carlock or 308Nate bith guys are here on this board and both have a very good desgine. I'm having 308nate put his brake on my 260 simply cause I think it looks cool and should be very effective due to the large baffel size.

anyhow , both of the brake you mentiond work well just one has ports on the bottom that will kick up dirt.

I have both Holland and Defensive Edge. I like both for what they do on the rifle on which they are installed. I have found no flaws in either but tend towards the Defensive Edge.

Norma brass is the way to go.

JMO

oops /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I was thinking 300 Win. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

There is no comparision between the Vias and partition style brakes. Go with a Defensive Edge or Holland. I would use the DE brake as that is what I use if the customer gives me the choice. I think the 4 port 1.000" diameter model is the one I would choose for your rifle. Recoil would be about like a 243 varmint rifle.

Kirby Allen(50)

i would also vote for either the holland or defensive edge style over the vias because of the lack of bottom holes and in my opinion, reduces more recoil because of the baffle design. i would decide between the two based on the balance of the gun with reference to how much or if there's any muzzle lift when firing.my understanding of the defensive edge is it has no top holes which won't have any down force when firing.good for a balanced or front heavy gun. the holland might work better if the gun jumps because it will put more down force due to the holes on top.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.