300 rem Ultra mag

birddog67

I have just purchased one and want to make some changes , I have all ready have a new stock and wanted to know what is the best , to have the gun ported or install a muzzel brake , I have been told not to have the barrel cut which I agree , this will be a hunting rifle , also the barrel is 26" right now . thanks gun)

I have just purchased one and want to make some changes , I have all ready have a new stock and wanted to know what is the best , to have the gun ported or install a muzzel brake , I have been told not to have the barrel cut which I agree , this will be a hunting rifle , also the barrel is 26" right now . thanks gun)
ports releave pressure before the bullet leaves the barrel. most are designed to push down. some say they increase harmonics.
breaks work both by releaving pressure and by pulling the rifle forwards. if you look at them they are like a hollow chamber not just ports. i prefer breaksgun)

In my experience, porting does not reduce recoil, only muzzle jump. I use a Vaise break on my 300 RUM

I just finished with a recent build ...remington 700,,300 rum , egw 20 moa base , bell and carlson stock ....to comment though on the post .Anyone with the skill and the knowledge like ( a gunsmith) or equivalent can cut,hack,and saw any part of the barrel but ......can they do it well ...or to be more precise ,can they improve upon what is already there. not to get off the subject I installed a jp benny cooley tactical brake and I am going to a shoot next thursday to see how it does .. more to followgun) I am also going to breaking in a brand new stock sps barrel so we'll see

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.