300 WUM or not?

akhunter3

I'm looking for a rifle that has as little recoil as possible, is powerfull enough to take down Moose, and is good for fairly long range (3-400 yards.) I have a chance to buy a 300 WUM that's really nice, brand new, for less than $500 bucks, is this a reasoneable price? Based on this,which one would you suggest?
?
1. 300 WUM
2. 300 WSM
3. 300 WM

The .300 RUM is the largest case of the three, and it will have a SUBSTANTIAL recoil without a brake. According to stats in my Hornady reloading manual, there is no difference in the WSM and the WM until you get into the heavier bullet weights. The Winchester mags are going to recoil less, but they will still rock you, if you are recoil sensitive. Have you considered having a brake installed? I use one on my .300 mag, and really appreciate it. With a brake that RUM will feel about like an '06. Could be an '06 is what you are looking for.

Thanks!
I had been loooking at having a break installed. I'm already shooting a 06' I'm just looking for something with a little more power and a farther shooting range.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.