Very useful tool ...

I hear you 'flip. I've reported several & don't have much of a problem with it. Being who I am & doing what I do, I prefer to handle problems directly, that's what i'm used to. It's somewhat foreign to me to handle issues the otherway around.

I'm still thinking user orientation is the way to go :cool:

t

I have never reported "mis-placed" threads but I maybe I should start. I think it's getting ridiculous and really detracts from the quality of the forums.

Heck, someone started a thread about buying a bow instead of a rifle in the LONG RANGE HUNTING forum. I pointed out that this was probably not the best forum to bring that subject up and then get berated (not by the OP who never responded after) for "playing monitor" and having a "bad attitude" and other things. Get a clue already.... sheeesh!

Then there's the, "What gun should I get for hunting bla bla bla at no farther than 300yds?" threads. Now I'm not trying to be condescending, but this IS the LONG RANGE HUNTING site. These questions should be asked somewhere else, like 24 hr Campfire.

I remember a monitor or two in years past, but have not seen hide nor hair of them in quite a while.

Ya know..... it's been a little while since I've pulled a trigger too :rolleyes::cool::D

... I think it's getting ridiculous and really detracts from the quality of the forums.

Then there's the, "What gun should I get for hunting bla bla bla at no farther than 300yds?" threads. Now I'm not trying to be condescending, but this IS the LONG RANGE HUNTING site. These questions should be asked somewhere else, like 24 hr Campfire.

I'm Outlaw6.0 & I approve this message.........

t

+2.......:)

I really enjoy the interaction, mostly with the folks that have been on here for a while and not the 11 post count (or 2 post count) newbies, not that some aren't capable of an intelligent discourse, because some are.... but then again, some aren't.

Up here where I live (and hunt), long range might be 150 yards and often it's measured in feet., I don't have the luxury of wide open spaces unless I'm going 'out west' to hunt (which I do) but thats usually a 2 day trip (driving) and a big hassle (flying).

Last fall I posted on the 'How far was your longest kill' thread. It was less than 30 feet, I could have scratched the whitetails head as it walked past me...... and in as much as that was my only filled tag, that was my 'long shot'.

Didn't even get a Kewpie doll.....:D

I too, like the direct approach. I'm in middle management, riding herd on over 100 guys that would and could do anything to break or stretch company policy and regulations if they could. I don't let them. I have a lot of names (mostly derogatory), you know what, I don't give a s**t. I run a tight ship. I tell the jokes. You laugh whether it's funny or not.

+2.......:)

I really enjoy the interaction, mostly with the folks that have been on here for a while and not the 11 post count (or 2 post count) newbies, not that some aren't capable of an intelligent discourse, because some are.... but then again, some aren't.

I too, like the direct approach. I'm in middle management, riding herd on over 100 guys that would and could do anything to break or stretch company policy and regulations if they could. I don't let them. I have a lot of names (mostly derogatory), you know what, I don't give a s**t. I run a tight ship. I tell the jokes. You laugh whether it's funny or not.

I know exactly what you mean. I only have ~12 dudes who report directly to me (3-5 more on the way) but we ride herd over +1200 in my area. Probably why I have such little tolerance for some of the attitudes & rule "benders" we run into here :rolleyes:

t

You aren't. We all have one thing in common, we are all over 30 and while you prefer Merlot and I prefer Sherry, we look at things in the same light.

I apologize for putting Feen-a-mint and Feenix in the same vein.:)

Ive gotten to the point where instead of being argumentative I just delete my thread notification and continue on.....

On a different note, it's amazing to me how 100 odd employees can be so creative in subverting company policy. Just amazing. When I slap their pee pees, they always say the same thing... who, me???

What we need is a sub forum titled 'Superfluous Threads'....., but then I've asked (and not received a sub forum for hard cast lead projectiles where we can discuss the aspects of melting wheel weights over a propane burner and casting our own pills, something I do.

No doubt I'll probably succumb to lead poisoning at some point.

, but then I've asked (and not received a sub forum for hard cast lead projectiles where we can discuss the aspects of melting wheel weights over a propane burner and casting our own pills, something I do.

No doubt I'll probably succumb to lead poisoning at some point.

Flip, The ALaskan Outdoor Directory Forums has some forums in the shooting category. There are a lot of old school boys over there who would I'm quite sure would enjoy chatting about weights, propane and hardcast bullets. I'm sure I've seen a number of related threads there but never joined in on those.

If you do happen to drop in, take care in how you approach the subject of shooting animals farther than 300 or 400 yds lest you get lectured on ethics.

Oh... I'm an IPA kinda guy and when it comes to wine, definitely Merlot although Sherry is not bad at all for sipping. And for the occasional straight up stout stuff, Jim Beam is just fine and for a little more mellow, Cutty Sark or Jamison on the Rocks.

Like I've stated elsewhere, long range for me is 150 yards. Here in Michigan at least and most times lots closer than that which is why a 308 or a handgun is fine for me. I've actually 'brought home the bacon' more than once with my 223 and 55 grain Hornady Spire points.

The only time I see wide open spaces is when we go hunting out your way.

I bought a 338 Lapua because I like the caliber and I could, not that I have the need. I had it at the local gun shop (for some scope covers) and it was the topic of conversation, everyone wanted to look at it and examine the parts and wanted to see just how large the cartridge was. ....."thats a big MF'in round there" yep. "Is it hard to shoot"...nope, just pull the trigger after loading the magazine and racking the bolt of course.... "Does it kick?'....Is the pope catholic?

No issue. Just wipe off the finger marks.....

You gotta love people.....

I've been following this thread from the beginning, and I thought about chiming in a couple of times, but I have decided the correct time is now.

I'm relatively new to this forum, as are a lot of other people. Some are like me and have been shooting their whole lives. Some are just getting started after the liberals' and Obummer's attack on guns. These new folks are trying to learn, and as they are just getting started, they may think that 300 yards is a long shot, and it probably is for them.

One thing that is great about all of it is the renewed interest in firearms and hunting.

Being a new member of the forum myself, I have also gotten somewhat frustrated with the redundancy of some of the threads, but the interest of new folks, and what they bring to the table as far as numbers of people on the right side of the fight is exciting to me. The forums would get pretty boring after a while if older topics were not rehashed occasionally.

Just my $.02, and a little more optimistic viewpoint. I have been shooting a lot lately as well:cool:

You guys can keep your wine. I'm a Scotch man :D

Ahh, the water of life! I too like good Scotch once in a while. When I was stationed in RAF Lakenheath, we took a tour to Glenturret Distillery (oldest in the UK) and enjoyed all their offerings and then some. :D

I would love to go to the Scotland and tour all of the distilleries some day. I have some hunting trips that I would like to get in first though gun)

Top of my bucket lost is Australia for a couple reasons. One I realize Oz is pretty strict on firearms (or at least used to be) and two, I have a lot of customers there and they all want me to come and visit. Australia intrigues me not just from it's unique topography but it's people and their attitudes toward things in general.

I haven't been shooting much but that will change this weekend. I need to get my CVA V2 sighted in.

I've never been one to go out just to shoot something. I get them (rifles and pistols with optics sighted in, loads built and leave them alone until I need them so I don't go through much in the way of ammunition.

Probably my biggest use of ammunition is my wintertime match pistol league but thats all 22 caliber rim fire stuff. I own a couple very tricked out pistols for the league. It's like bowling but it goes bang.

I am glad I bought 15 bricks of Wolf Match Extra, Eley primed 2 years ago in as much as 22's are very hard to get. At the time, it was a lot but I never imagined it would be so hard to get, if at all.

Now, a couple guys in our group like to shoot (at paper) every weekend to practice (I guess for hunting) and we have a private range so they go through a pile of center fire rounds and I'm the delegated reloader so they keep my reloading bench pretty busy.

Been invited duck hunting on a private island in the middle of the Maumee River this winter. Looking forward to that. I'll have to borrow a shotgun, I don't own one.

Finally, I try to be tolerant of everyone. I'm sure there are quite a few posters on here that think I'm an a'hole. I know some of my employees do. I too, am excited about the surging interest in firearms and hunting in general. Not sure if it's Obama fueled or not, but one thing for sure is, just being active on a forum like this isn't enough to protect our right to bear arms and own them, you have to always be pro-active with everyone, everywhere.

Forums like this a a great source of knowledge but you have to distill what you read and take things with a grain of salt. Experience is still the best teacher IMO.

When I post anything, I always keep this thought in the back of my mind...... Because it's a publicly viewed forum, anyone, anywhere can read what you post, so never post anything that can be construed as making you look like a fool, or worse.

This is a fun thread BTW.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.