Very Low Recoil Deer Rifle

The fact is I have a .223 in wood that I could steal the stock from. I want to build him a better rifle. To my thinking, making the gun much heavier should reduce the recoil to almost nil.

I looked at those 6X Lupolds on the Opticszone site. The price seems quite good. As I think about it, a fixed power scope might be better choice for him.

A 26" tube at 1:8, threaded for a brake is something to consider. I will look into that.

Thanks for all the input.

You could also increase the weight of the 223 stock by adding lead in the fore end and butt end easy enough.

A heavier barrel does not automatically mean a more accurate barrel, especially since it will only be a few shots at a time if that many.

Adding a Limbsaver or Decelerator pad would help a lot.

Chop the stock, make it heavier, bed the action, add a pad, test to see if it works for him. If not you are only out a little time and a few bucks.

The heavier and longer barrel was not being considered to improve accuracy. It was being considered to increase weight, and reduce recoil. The first step is going to be a different stock. That may be all that is needed. If there is still enough recoil to bother the ol' guy, we will go from there.

Hi, I live in the UK so my distances for taking animals is no where near yours but as regards a low recoil Deer Rifle I think I have the answer, I've certainly opened a few eyes when I have been shooting anyway so here goes.
I bought a Remmy 700 Bdl VLS in .243, the first thing I did was take 4" off the muzzle then 3" off the stock and put a 1" 'limbsaver' recoil pad on, then, I was lucky, I managed to tune the trigger by trial and error down to 1 lb but I know a few folk have problems tuning the standard trigger unit so a replacement may be neccessary.
I have been using this rifle for eight years now all year round, have not been too fussy about cleaning except when it got wet and I can still head shoot fox out to 250yds, have never needed to shoot further but proves accuracy is as good as needed and have taken Deer (Roe up to 45lbs) out to 200yds. Recoil is non existant and would certainly not think a muzzle break would be neccessary. Just my thoughts on the matter, feel free to disagree if you like

Mike thats what my step daughter shoots and because it fits the thread Ill let you all know what we are going to do with it.

Compact Rugger MARK II in .243
Mr. Allen will soon do the following work
rebarrel with a 24" stainless Lilja #3 (Kirby if 24" is too long we can cut it off)in .260 REM
bed into the lil stock
lap lugs
Add a Timney adl trigger
Its had a Sims pad added

Should end up almost no recoil and get the job done at 300yds and last her for a very long long time.

if you are gonna do a bunch of stuff to that gun, you might want to just start out with a heavier barreled and lam stocked 243 to begin with. the savage 12bvss sounds to me like exactly what u want. 95gr partition works good for the high shoulder.

shorten the stock and get the limbsaver pad for it.

I was in our local gun shop a couple of days ago with my daughter and her hubby, and they had a new remington that is compact for women and kids, I think it was a 7mm-08, that might be a choice for your grandpa. I would think they have different calibers to chose from in that model. That is if your considering a new rifle for him

I put together a Reminton Model 7 for my eight year old last year in 7.08 It wears a David White aluminium brake, barrel shortened and re-crowned, shortened, pillar bedded thumbhole Richards Microfit stock with a Sims pad. It is a tack driver with lighter 120 gr Ballistic tips and you can literally feel almost nil recoil. Personally I think the thumbhole stock allows some of the recoil to be spread over a wider area instead of just the shoulder (palm of hand). He weighs 70 lbs and goes through 20 rounds and begs for more.

The .243 I have now will be the base for this project. I have a Savage barrel nut wrench on the way, so I can go with a different barrel in the future. I will be ordering a thumb hole stock from Boyds after I get back from a vacation we are taking tomorrow. I will shorten it, fit a Sims pad, and see how that works. If that is not enough recoil reduction a heavy barrel and brake are the next thing. To be honest, I am much more excited about this project that he is. He is a very stoic German. There is no way he is going to let me buy him a new rifle. The fact that I can spend as much or more on this gun is our little secret. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

get him a 223 it will kill deer with a 55 grain bullet
I have killed them at 250 yards with a 223 Winchester
I have also killed them with a 30 m1 carbine
you don't need a Canon to kill deer.
And my uncle in missouri never used anything other than a
22 long rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.