Venison Sausage Patties

Does it bother some the fact that it might taste gamey? In our home and my brother's we dont bleed out the meat in salt and water or another mix, we appreciate the wild game flavor from the animals we hunt and I have found elk not gamey at all.

Does it really bother hunters that much?

Does it bother some the fact that it might taste gamey? In our home and my brother's we dont bleed out the meat in salt and water or another mix, we appreciate the wild game flavor from the animals we hunt and I have found elk not gamey at all.

i dont care for it but i'll eat it anyhow. i try to bleed them out as much as i can. depending on what i'm making, i'll brine them sometimes too.

I would keep hog quarters on ice to bleed them out but for all else from deer to pronghorn to elk, I find that trimming the silverskin off of any cut used, as thoroughly as possible, is the key to minimizing any "gamey" flavor. That and of course, proper care in the field.

I would keep hog quarters on ice to bleed them out but for all else from deer to pronghorn to elk, I find that trimming the silverskin off of any cut used, as thoroughly as possible, is the key to minimizing any "gamey" flavor. That and of course, proper care in the field.

I take the silver skin off so its not chewey but did not know it removed some of the wild game taste. Thanks

50/50 venison and pork is the ticket. I use to go nuts getting all the silver skin off but after seeing the professionals do it, they grind it all . No difference in taste that I've noticed. Best of luck

morning 50% deer, 30% pork, and 20% beef. season to
tasting. the beef sweetens the sausage. mix season
and let set in frig. for a day. or 2 to let the season
season. then do what u want. justme gbot tum

This is so old I remember typing it on old Smith Corona portable manual typewriter since my handwritten version got so messy from sitting on counter while making it. I prefer using pork butt but ground round at about 85% works fine if don't like the pork in it. Dang, hear it sizzling on the grill....

Attachments

• Venison Breakfast Sausage0001.pdf
    412.9 KB · Views: 140
Forgot to add this for clarification for those Millennial's:
Typewriter: a machine for writing in characters similar to those produced by printer's type by means of keyboard-operated type striking a ribbon to transfer ink or carbon impressions onto the paper.

50/50 venison and pork is the ticket. I use to go nuts getting all the silver skin off but after seeing the professionals do it, they grind it all . No difference in taste that I've noticed. Best of luck

I agree, what they grind does contain quite a bit of silverskin and I do like what I've had. I wanted to emphasize that any cut used for cooking should be trimmed of silverskin as completely as possible. When we age and butcher, step one is to do a complete trim of the dried outside layer of the entire carcass, which results in a nice collection of mostly trimmed meat for grinding.
+1 on cutting with a pork roast or even a loin for a super lean treat.

I'm hoping everybody is enjoying this rich harvest season! We just got our Pueblo and Hatch green chili for the year and flop to our pronghorn hunt on 10/8! cheers

I usually rotate between chunks of pork and deer and as I grind, then I mix my spices by hand real well finally grinding it once more. I don't have any fancy tools just a small grinder and a few large bowls. Been doing it this way for years. I usually do 10 lb of hot Italian and 10 lb of breakfast. Best wishes!

A nice large plastic tub helps with the process. We started grinding by using the Kitchen-aid power head attachment for their blenders, but just got a Cabelas 1hp grinder which is sweet. For that deer, give cutting with bacon a try.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.