Velocity Quote Please

FullCurlHunter

Hey Guys,

Can someone let me know what a nosler or hornady manual quotes me for speed with the following load. I am on the road and dont have access tomy books and am running some ballistic drop charts.

300 Wby Mag
82.0 grains of H4831
180 grain Nosler Accubond, BC approx. .509
26" barrel

Thanks!

I looked at two different manuals. The Nosler # 6 and the new Speer #14. First the Nosler manual does not use H4831 in reloading a 180 grain bullet. The Speer does and it lists 81 grains as the max load. The velocity listed at 81 grains is 3050 ft/sec. This load was shot from a 26 inch barrel using, RP cases and CCI 250 primers.

Interesting. I took it up to 83.0 grains with no signs of high pressure at all. I have seen 84 listed as max.

Thanks for looking that up.

Does anybody else have an estimate or numbers?

Thanks

Hornady 7th edition says 80.7 grains is max...at 3,100 fps. (test gun was a Weatherby Mark V with a 26", 1 in 10" twist barrel)

Speer #14 and Sierra edition V, do not list H4831 with that round...they do list H4831SC, but that powder is a bit different.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.