Velocity question

rolltide

I'm trying to find a ballistics program that can help me figure out what type of velocity I should be seeing for my Kimber Montana 7wsm. I don't have access to a chronograph right now as the one I've had use of in the past got shot earlier this year.

I'm running 64 gr of '22 pushing a 162 A-max. I'm getting great groups but would love to know where I am at with velocity.

Is there such a program or do I just need to break down and buy a chronograph?

Thanks,

Chris

No program can tell velocity from your rifle. Every one is somewhat unique. Roy is right, you don't need one, you can shoot at distance to get your drops and go from there. If you want to know for sure, say to judge where your are as far as the performance of your handloads, then you need to use one. Velocity is like a loading manual, it is a reference. It does not correlate to everyone across the board. Some rifles can take a higher charge of powder than others and not have pressure signs. Some rifles will shoot loads to a higher or lower speed than others. If your load is accurate and you are satisfied, shoot it. If you are feeling it is slower than it should be, find someone with a chrony and find out.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.