High Velocity Of High BC

Ultra High Velocity Or Normal Velocity And High Velocity

• Ultra High Velocity With Low BC Bullet

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Normal Velocity With High BC Bullet

Votes: 124 97.6%

• Total voters
What would you go with High Velocity or High BC...

I've always preferred high BC over HV, probably due to my long range competition shooting.

The HV (with lighter bullets) produces spectacular kills at reasonable ranges..250-300 yards with the 55 gr .224 bullets, while the 70-80 grain VLD bullets will do better out to 600+ yards, depending on 223 or 22/250 velocities.

They'll do better in the wind as well.

In the immortal words of German Salazar, "velocity fades, but BC is forever."

It is just a pity that German Salazar does not have a clue on this subject . The BC of any bullet varies as it's velocity varies , because drag varies with velocity.A BC is a measure of a bullets abillity to resist drag so as velocity varies drag so the BC changes at certain places in the trajectory.The single BC that is quoted by bullet manufacturers is an averaging of many BC's taken at velocity points in the trajectory . To model a trajectory better you need multiple BC's and their respective velocity boundries. As velocity erodes the BC usually goes up as the drag is reduced but as it hits the transonic zone it falls again . This does not mean a bullet wil not shoot well at some lower velocity as the BC will usually be higher but the trajectory will be higher and the low velocity will reduce range where the transonic zone comes in . So it's a balance of a good average BC and a velocity that gives a flat trajectory while pushing the transonic zone out as far as possible for that load. While still having a safe pressure load.

Last edited:
I don't know anyone who has had a 338-408 long enough to tell how long the barrel life is. I'm on the verge of putting one together, what do you supose the life is?

Just from what I have learned on this site I would think between 1 and 2 minutes / depending time twix targets.:)

Just from what I have learned on this site I would think between 1 and 2 minutes / depending time twix targets.:)

In a more serious vein, I'd say that the 408 has a barrel life of 1-2000 rounds at best. 1 loading is at 3000FPS, and another, lighter bullet goes 3500FPS...both fine barrel burners compared to the 2700 FPS of the 50BMG and 7.62.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts