Velocity difference between 26" barrel ar and 26" bolt action?

Thanks cbass! I might try some r17. Did you use quickload for any starting points on this gun or some of your others?
I did, a few years ago, but I don't anymore. I used to be a member on the WSSMzone before it got spammed so many times, it closed up shop. Lots of guys over there had 10x more experience with the WSSM than me, so I took lots of advice when I first got started.

I just ladder test now.

Cool deal! Did you always leave your can on and your gas block adjusted for the can when you did your load development? Ive had my can off because it gets the gun so much dirtier faster. Do you think that will make a big difference in the outcome? If so what would you suggest? Thanks!

Ok you got my brain spinning. Checked my notes for my AR 243 custom with 26" bull against my Savage Model 10 26" bull Barrel thumper.
AR243 shooting 80 Gr VMAX hand loads 3658-3663 fps Averaged 3660fps
SAVAGE M-10 80gr VMAX hand loads 3685-3710fps averaged 3697 fps

Know where near 10% buddy. This was not cold bore. Guns where warmed up and Temp was 58Deg 50% Humidity' Love them both.

Bolts inherently more accurate though. But follow ups go to the AR :)

jca57jd

I have a side charger upper on mine. I was gonna use it as a semi auto critter hunter but you can remove (1) gas ring from the bolt and use it as a dedicated high capacity bolt that you have to charge after each shot. But with a Ross Shuler Brake its easy to chase anthing you want semi autio. Ideally its better to drop them with the first round but its not always that easy.

Jimbo

10% difference in fps is way too high. Between those barrel lengths I'd say somewhere around 40-70fps - with the slight going to the bolt gun.

Jonthomps,
Your right on it. I did not have much difference in FPS 30-40 is not worth the comparison.
So for the record my results were 33-37 FPS to the bolt gun as expected. Nothing near 10% though.

Its still center mass using 100yd dope on either rifle.

Jimbo

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts