18" vs 20" barrel difference ???

Alfred Crouch

Am looking at a 223 Rock River ATH carbine. It comes with an 18" barrel. Would like to have a 20" I Think?? My use would be targets and coyotes.

Would like to hear opinions and comments from those of you who have used both as to difference in noise and performance levels of the two.

Would like to hear comments and opinions as to whether a muzzle break would be desirable on it as well. Thanks for any and all input. Al

Last edited:
I've had an 18" barrel version, 20" and 22" versions also.

I agree with you, 20" is just about right. Especially if it's a heavy contour. A good compromise between the long and short of things. The 18 is nice for a "truck gun".

If you are shooting bullets in the 50-60 range and not using really slow powders, the extra length doesn't do a whole lot for increase in velocity, and I liked the manuverability of the 18 and 20 inch versions. I noticed no difference in drops at 300 and 400 yds (with a 200 yd sight in) between the 18" and 20" barrels. Chronograph maybe would show a small difference, but actual drops sure didn't.

No need for a muzzle break, it just makes them louder. AR's don't kick like a bolt action does.

Last edited:
Am looking at a 223 Rock River ATH carbine. It comes with an 18" barrel. Would like to have a 20" I Think?? My use would be targets and coyotes.

Would like to hear opinions and comments from those of you who have used both as to difference in noise and performance levels of the two.

Would like to hear comments and opinions as to whether a muzzle break would be desirable on it as well. Thanks for any and all input. Al

I just went through this myself and actually settled on the RRA ATH. The only thing that I could find from hours of reading was that the 18 would lose a little fps and thats it.

A buddy and me are both looking to do basically the same thing you are. After getting the ATH in, and feeling the weight, he decided to go 16" strictly because of the weight.

I don't think the muzzle brake is all that necassary and it is LOUD! But having a threaded barrel was something that I wanted so I'll prolly end up putting a flash hider or just a thread protector on.

I use a 16" bushmaster v-match, it's not a real heavy barrel .700ish?

I love the short barrel, great when out west as a truck gun. has kills over 300 yards, Yea it's slower than a 20" but it handles alot better. Dosen't mater, if they are within 200 yards they are taking a dirt nap on the run.

I have 16" barrels on both my ARs I have pushed them to 700 no issues. My wifes rifle has a DD light weight barrel its very nice when carrying for extended peroids. If your shooting from the prone then get a longer barrel if your going to be moving around alot stick to 18" or shorter.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts