Velocity Ceiling for Barnes TTSX? Fiftydriver?

blanko

I was just curious out of all the testing you have done if you had any information on the velocity ceiling for the .243 80gr. TTSX. Or if anybody else has any experience with the Barnes TTSX at high velocities the advice would be much appreciated.

I have a 6mm Remington and Barnes advertises they are getting 3428 mv using 4350. If I can get an accuracy load at or above 3300 I would still be close to 3000 fps out to 300 yards.

When I ran the numbers at 3300 fps it still had 1000 ft lbs of energy at 700 yds and a velocity of 2373 which is above there advertised minimum for expansion of 2000 fps, but there are many times I've jumped a buck close walking into and out of hunting spots and it might end up being a 50 to 100 yard shot.

Thanks Again.

I've not used the .243 but I shoot the 110 grain out of a .270 WSM. I getting an average of 3540 fps with 67 grains of IMR 4350. Out of my gun this load shoots well under MOA and I've killed deer as close as 50 yards and have had great performance out of the bullet. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info,

I looked on the hodgdon website today and they had a load for the 80gr. ttsx with there new superperformance powder with an advertised max mv of 3581 with 51 grains powder.

Haven't tried the 80 tipped but over the last few years with the 85 tsx Im getting consistant 3300fps out a 22inch barrel .243 with n160. very good acuracy and terminal performance.
You might want to run those numbers again, they seem mighty optimistic.

Last edited:
Guys over on 24hourcampfire.com are running TSX and TTSX out of their 257 Wbys at 3600+ fps, I'd say you are fine with your 6mm at any velocity you can achieve. It is a monolithic bullet and since Barnes added the three grooves on the shank to allow metal to flow when displaced by the lands I have heard very little bad about them.

I probably typed in something wrong, I'm on shift today, I'll recheck them tomorrow when I get off work. Thanks for the feedback.

Wow, no wonder the numbers looked so good. I was using Bergers BC calculator and punching the advertised .331 G1 BC as a G7 bc for the bullet. DUH!

Sorry guys, but thanks again for the replies on your experience with bullet performance on game at the high velocities.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.