Varmint Cartridges and Low Noise Levels

Varmint Hunter

With more and more residential developement everywhere I hunt varmints, muzzle blast is getting to be an important consideration when building a new rifle.

What cartridge, powder and barrel length would you suggest for the lowest "report" while keeping the rifle capable and accurate out to 600yds or so?

[ QUOTE ]
Is it legal to own suppressors in NY?

[/ QUOTE ]

You cannot use a suppressor while hunting in NY.

I don't think there is a quiet solution to your 600 shooting.

If you are shooting woodchucks, look at the 204 Ruger, or 20 Tactical... with 25~ish grains of powder, this is about as small as you can get and still whack a woodie at those ranges.

Most of the noise is from the sonic crack of the bullet, and there is nothing you can do about that, except try to keep the bullet as small as possible.

I would vote for the 204 Ruger or the 20 Tac.

And use the longest barrel that you can manage - that will help with the initial "blast"

Where in NYS do you hunt, and what are the critters??

"I feel your pain"...
... I live in Connecticut and most of our farms have turned into condos or corporate headquarters... or are just across the road from them.

I live in NY but hunt groundhogs extensively in PA.

Even my .221FB (21" Hart) seems to have more CRACK than I am looking for. I normally shoot a 22-243 or 6.5x284 which make quite a bit of noise.

Recently tried a new 17HMR. Rifle is deadly accurate but hits between 150yds & 225yds resulted in a "stung" critter every time. Did not recover a single hog with that cartridge so have set it aside for small bunnies, birds, etc. I gotts say though, it is a lot of fun to shoot and there's no reloading. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

600 yards is a LOT to ask of a quiet round. The HMR sure is a great round but like you I've found 150yards about max for a good kill. 45LC in my 15" Encore are fairly quiet and with a little practice and luck its not too hard to hit a prairie dog mound @ 400 yards...hitting the dog though has proved challenging /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Maybe opening a 221 to 30 call would get-r-done?
I found this web page a while back,mite be helpful?

Low noise rounds and subsonic

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.