Favorite Varmint Cartridge

Jud96

Just starting a thread to see what everyones favorite varmint shell is. I know many of you have multiple rifles and setups for different ranges and stuff but if you had to have one rig and one cartridge what would it be? Also include details on your bullet weight and rifle and anything else such as personal accounts and possibly kill pics with your beloved round.

My favorite all around varminter is the .243 Winchester. Mine is chambered in a Remington 700 ADL Varmint rifle with 26inch heavy barrel topped with Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x40 with fine target dot. I shoot 87gr V-MAXs out of it at a chrongraphed velocity of 3250fps. I like this cartridge because of its high BC bullet I shoot (.400) which leads to excellent ballistics downrange, that gets me out to 750yds, and because of its destruction on groundhogs. This combo makes it my favorite all around varmint killer. One day I may make it a .243 AI but for now its the .243 Winchester. Thanks

I have several but the one I use for longer shots is a 240 weatherby shooting 95 Berger vlds @ 3450 my longest so far was 711 yards

Im with you on this, I love the 243. win! right now im shooting the 87gr vmax as well and they are awesome, but im trying to work up a load with 105gr bergers for the longer range stuff! If/when i burn the barrel out im debating on stepping up to the 243. AI or a 260. we will see

.222 Rem gets my vote. Time tested cartridge, super accurate, low recoil and relatively inexpensive to reload for. I used to say cheap to reload for, but i dont think that term applies to any reloading these days. Still cheaper than factory ammo. I have 4 700s and a 722 in .222 and some of em like the 40 grain vmax and some the 52 grn Speer HP. The .17 Rem and .204 are tied for 2nd.

I have several but the one I use for longer shots is a 240 weatherby shooting 95 Berger vlds @ 3450 my longest so far was 711 yards
My Dad has a custom .240 that he has had for 30+ years and he shoots 87gr Hornady V-MAXs or BTHPs at 3500fps. His farthest hits are around 500yds with it, but he has pretty much retired it for his newer stuff. Still its a heck of a round.

Im with you on this, I love the 243. win! right now im shooting the 87gr vmax as well and they are awesome, but im trying to work up a load with 105gr bergers for the longer range stuff! If/when i burn the barrel out im debating on stepping up to the 243. AI or a 260. we will see

Heck ya man haha! I was thinking of trying 105gr Hornady A-MAXs or BTHPs in mine but can't get over the 87gr V-MAX. I'm probably not going to rechamber mine unless I burn the throat out, 3400fps out a .243 AI with 87s is pretty convincing though. I haven't had any problems shooting out to 700yds with the 87 grainers, even with wind, they buck it pretty well.

.222 Rem gets my vote. Time tested cartridge, super accurate, low recoil and relatively inexpensive to reload for. I used to say cheap to reload for, but i dont think that term applies to any reloading these days. Still cheaper than factory ammo. I have 4 700s and a 722 in .222 and some of em like the 40 grain vmax and some the 52 grn Speer HP. The .17 Rem and .204 are tied for 2nd.

My Dad and I shoot his .222 Remington chambered in a Model 700 Varmint Special for our close range 1-300yd shots. The rifle is incredibly accurate. It is completely factory and the only modification to it is that its bedded and the trigger is tuned. Groups at 100yds are easily covered by the back end of the .222 casing! We shoot 50gr V-MAXs out of it at 3200fps and it completely mists groundhogs' heads! We've never messed with a .17 Rem, never much cared for the ultra light bullets. Only experience with .204s are ones that we bedded and worked on for guys and they are impressively accurate and fun, but the light bullets and their wind sensitivity doesn't appeal to me.

I have a Cooper M54 Varminter in 22-250. My yard varmints are all 250 yds or less, and a 50gr Blitzking gets it done at ~3900fps. It is stupid accurate for a factory gun. In the ear at 175yds accurate....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 141
I have a Cooper M54 Varminter in 22-250. My yard varmints are all 250 yds or less, and a 50gr Blitzking gets it done at ~3900fps. It is stupid accurate for a factory gun. In the ear at 175yds accurate....

Haha that tears them things up! My cousin is building a custom .22-250 and we are going to shoot 53gr V-MAXs at 3700fps with only a 22" barrel. It ought to do some demage too!

Jud, first off agree on u with Remington! I do have twin ruger varmint guns in 220 swift and 243 that I love. My favorite though is 6-284 .270 tight neck, Remington 700 trued, jewel trigger set at 1.5 oz, 30" Hart straight taper 1 in 10 twist Berger 90 grains moly coated, 55 grains of R22 3625 at the muzzle have shot 1/2" groups at 300, 785 is longest groundhog. Installing 20 moa rail to extend range.

Jud, first off agree on u with Remington! I do have twin ruger varmint guns in 220 swift and 243 that I love. My favorite though is 6-284 .270 tight neck, Remington 700 trued, jewel trigger set at 1.5 oz, 30" Hart straight taper 1 in 10 twist Berger 90 grains moly coated, 55 grains of R22 3625 at the muzzle have shot 1/2" groups at 300, 785 is longest groundhog. Installing 20 moa rail to extend range.

Haha Remingtons rule! Your 6-.284 sounds like a dream come true to me! Its got a Hart, Remington action, Jewell Trigger! The best in my opinion! What glass is mounted on it? I bet that thing stretches those groundhogs out launching a 90 at 3625! The accuracy is also great! Sounds like you got yourself a fine varmint getter. Never looked into a 6-.284 before but might have to now!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts