• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Value estimate for turn key rifle sold to a friend...?

entoptics

EDIT: To be clear. I am not selling this rifle here. I just want some value estimates for me and my buddy to work with, but it was deleted from the LRH&S forum because "Belongs in classifieds", despite it not being a classified add... 🤔

Buddy needs a better rifle and so do I...

Considering selling him one of mine and using the money towards a "dream build". Hoping you guys can help me with "fair price" estimate for my rig. "Fair" in this case might be a bit above market value, as he wants a turn key solution, and I'll be reloading for him (he'll pay for components). He's also shot the rifle a couple times, and to quote him..."It's friggin awesome!". In other words, he wants to buy it. I just wanna be sure it's all fair for both of us.

So the rig...

Savage 110 long action, bottom bolt release, accutriger.
Savage 110 Long Range Hunter Accustock (old version with kydex cheek riser)
Weaver 20 MOA pic rail
X-Caliber, 1:8 twist, stainless, fluted, heavy sporter, 26", 5R groove. 7 Rem Mag
MBM 3 Port Super Baby Beast, tapered but not blended.
Caldwell picatinny bipod adapter
Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15 x 50 FFP with Vortex bubble level

Overall condition is "well used", though he could not care less about cosmetics. It has about 600 rounds down the tube, but he also doesn't really care, as he's a "2 boxes of shells a year" sorta guy. He'll be too old to hunt before it burns up.

The rifle shoots sub MOA "all day". I've probably shot a dozen half MOA groups with it (3-5 shots). The smallest I have in my spreadsheet is a 0.26 MOA, 3 shot group, at 513 yds. The average group size for "developed" loads is ~0.8 MOA (N = 46 groups, all ranges, conditions, and number of shots included). To him, it might as well be a laser guided death ray, as he's used to "Grand Pappy's '06" and won't shoot at an animal past 400 yds ever.

The middle rifle in this picture (Sig Whiskey 5 will be replaced with Athlon Ares BTR that's on the 300WM on right)..
IMG_5589.jpeg

So what do you reckon she's worth with the Athlon scope? I'd love to hear a "fair market" price, as well as an "I'd love to buy this rifle" as a turn key solution among friends.

Last edited:
If it was a FRIEND of mine I would sell it set up for 50 percent of what it would cost him new. That is fair market value for me selling to a FRIEND. I have a lot of acquaintance and few FRIENDS. Example I sold a Mathews DXT full set up fall away rest 5 pin sight Mathews bow quiver Scott release dozen gold tip with 100 muzzy for 300. Open Market at the time was 700 easy and new was +1600.

How good of a friend is he? Honestly, he can buy the rifle you're wanting to sell him new for under $2K.

New Long Range Hunter $900
New Athlon 2.5-15X50 FFP $800
Other stuff <$300

So since you've shot +/- 50% of the barrel life up at 600 rounds, the X-Caliber isn't worth nearly as much anymore. So if he's a good friend and he had to have your rifle I'd tend to agree with Reelamin. However, if he was my friend I'd tell him to stick with Pappy's old 06 no more than he shoots.

Last edited:
I'll give it a shot. I'd say gunbroker.com says the savage 110 is going for around $500-550 in good condition. So "well used" means less then that. A quick Google search for "wts athalon ares" says the scope is worth about $450.

So I'd guess around $900-950.

It doesn't matter but I don't get the part of charging a friend more though. Seems like you should be giving a friend a deal, not trying to milk him for more $$$.

Understand the sentiment, but my buddy feels the same way about buying, as you all do about selling. He knows I don't want to sell it, but he wants it pretty bad, so he wants to make sure he is paying fair market plus.

To settle it, I told him I'd find out the "real" value, then add a touch for the time, effort, and training that will come with it. He honestly wouldn't be happy if he knew he got a "deal". He knows how much work goes into shopping, outfitting, and tuning up a new rifle, and he feels bad asking me to do that (even though he knows I enjoy it).

On the other hand, it's a known excellent shooting rifle with plenty of life left and your going to continue keeping it that way. I'd say that's worth quite a bit. Let him know what an honest market value is and how much it would cost to have load work up done and let him decide. Being a savage, it's an easy rebarrel so round count don't mean that much. Accuracy like that doesn't happen every time

You got better pics? Bad news is savages don't have very good resale value. I would say $1300 is a good deal for you and your buddy. He can rebarrel super quick and then slap a really nice stock on if he ever gets bored.

~$750 for the rifle
~$550 for scope, rings, and mount

What kind of dream rifle do you want? Also, yes I feel scummy pricing another mans rifle that he loves. Don't judge me…lol.

What kind of dream rifle do you want?

I'd love a 7 Rem Mag capable of 3/4 MOA with the first load I try from my current 7mm Rem Mag recipes...;)

Seriously though. I'm hoping to step up to a slightly lighter rig with 180 gr class 0.284 pills near enough 3000 fps. Semi-custom action (ARC Archimedes is high on list). Light chasis (XLR Element Mg?), and carbon barrel of some sort. $3K ish before scope.

You look at Curtis or terminus actions? You can build one in your house with very few tools.

There's prefits for sale on the web for $400. $550 if you include the brake.

I've done a pile of window shopping on most of the ~$1000 actions. Terminus is definitely on the list. Archimedes just really strikes my fancy. Won't make a decision till right up until the credit card comes out of the wallet though.

I've done a pile of window shopping on most of the ~$1000 actions. Terminus is definitely on the list. Archimedes just really strikes my fancy. Won't make a decision till right up until the credit card comes out of the wallet though.

There's also bighorn or zermatt whatever they are calling themselves. You can swap bolt faces and barrels pretty easily.

I tried to sell my Savage 110 280ai on here about a year ago and never got a bite. It was an older flat back action. Installed a 9tw Criterion barrel, Boyd's stock, new barrel nut and lug, SAV 1 trigger, Nightforce rail, 4-16 S-Tac scope. I think I was asking $1000 for the whole thing. They just aren't worth much after they are all together.

Last edited: