Utah Non Resident Elk hunt leftover tags

pine valley between enterprise and modena where the railroad tracks meet the nevada line, zion where the elk are is national park and or private property

Where you going to hunt, @davewilson?
Ill be heading up to Vernal August 10-13 to scout around a bit. For me, it'll either be up there in the north slope/south slope, or down in Zion.
Wanted to check Zion closer to the actual hunt, but still with plenty of time to decide which way to go.
Did you go up to Vernal, what does it look like?

Yep. Yesterday was our last day up here. We will drive home today. We got up here Saturday and began driving roads, glassing and scouting.
Definitely allot of outstanding habitat, however, we did not see any Elk.
As great as the area is, I'd have to say we were a little surprised not to see any elk. We did see allot of deer though, and ranchers have a whole lot of cattle in the area right now.
We covered the whole Vernal south slope area, found 4 points of entry into that area from Vernal, and covered elevations from 6000-10,500 by vehicle and glassing where we could.
We also got a look at the north slope area from 44, and part of south slope Yellowstone, around Moon lake.
The plan for today is drive home via Provo and Cedar City, to give us a quick look at West Desert East, Fillmore, and Beaver West, then take the 14 over to the 89 for a look at the top portion of Zion.

Looks like I get to go Elk hunting after all!!
I Haven't been drawn in Arizona for Elk in a while, neither has Dad. Something had to be done. So Dad and I started looking out of state. We settled on Utah as the most promising and the least expensive for us. I was able to get licenses and tags for me and my Dad when they went on sale this morning. We both now have tags for any Bull in the General Season rifle (ALW) Oct 5-17.

We were thinking of going around Panguitch, Utah. But we decided when we got back home we might as well put in for Bull, so now we have different areas to look at.
We've only scouted once so far, as I said earlier, around Panguitch, but that's a spike area... is there any areas anyone on here would recommend for Bull?

Thanks in advance!

Note: Had to edit and add for clarity and accuracy. Was super busy when I posted and left half the info out.

Yep. Yesterday was our last day up here. We will drive home today. We got up here Saturday and began driving roads, glassing and scouting.
Definitely allot of outstanding habitat, however, we did not see any Elk.
As great as the area is, I'd have to say we were a little surprised not to see any elk. We did see allot of deer though, and ranchers have a whole lot of cattle in the area right now.
We covered the whole Vernal south slope area, found 4 points of entry into that area from Vernal, and covered elevations from 6000-10,500 by vehicle and glassing where we could.
We also got a look at the north slope area from 44, and part of south slope Yellowstone, around Moon lake.
The plan for today is drive home via Provo and Cedar City, to give us a quick look at West Desert East, Fillmore, and Beaver West, then take the 14 over to the 89 for a look at the top portion of Zion.
Did you see 338 Bruce post? Between Modena and Enterprise, West of Cedar City.

I have seen elk on zion while cutting firewood up on kanarraville mountain east of i-15, couple good bulls but mostly private, the road goes over the top and hooks onto the kolob road north to hyway 14 south to kolob and vigin. The elk at modena are trespassers from the nevada herds.

Did you see 338 Bruce post? Between Modena and Enterprise, West of Cedar City.

As an update, we are back to Arizona.
Dad decided when he got up yesterday morning, we are hunting that SOB hell or high water. We came up with a few plans, based on what we learned of the road system and layout of the area. Now, just need to see weather, density of hunters, etc. Maybe we get lucky, maybe we don't. Just depends on everything being right and going our way! LOL!

It'll be an epic hunt either way. Simply put, that country is stunningly beautiful!

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions, Dad's a bit stubborn when he gets his mind made up... (Unlike me, of course...) LOL!!

Best I just go with it since it's his last hurrah.

Dad decided when he got up yesterday morning, we are hunting that SOB hell or high water. We came up with a few plans, based on what we learned of the road system and layout of the area. Now, just need to see weather, density of hunters, etc. Maybe we get lucky, maybe we don't. Just depends on everything being right and going our way! LOL!

It'll be an epic hunt either way. Simply put, that country is stunningly beautiful!

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions, Dad's a bit stubborn when he gets his mind made up... (Unlike me, of course...) LOL!!

One time I was going up a canyon looking for cows heard a bunch of noise and remembered what the cow boss said, you hear noise get off the canyon floor or they will run you over. Sure enough big herd of elk came out of there. They settled for awhile just below me and my mule to many to count bulls were just a bugling what a sight that was. Best of luck and have a good one.

One time I was going up a canyon looking for cows heard a bunch of noise and remembered what the cow boss said, you hear noise get off the canyon floor or they will run you over. Sure enough big herd of elk came out of there. They settled for awhile just below me and my mule to many to count bulls were just a bugling what a sight that was. Best of luck and have a good one.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.