Colorado elk hunt, non resident, public ground.

A crupper? I've never seen one on an outfitter's horse — although I've seen times where one would have helped! "Half-lings" with more belly & no withers are no fun riding down steep terrain.

We were going to go for a ride with full gear on for the first time(here at home) and apparently my buddies horse didn't care for the crupper. He lowered his head against the breast collar and the crupper pulled up his tail and it was rodeo time! My buddy not so gracefully dismounted into a pile on the ground after about three jumps and the horse took off down the road bucking like a bronc.

I caught up to him about three quarters of a mile down the road and managed to bring him back. Didn't seem to bother too much after he figured out what was going on.

I don't think I would like riding on the elk trails I was on without a crupper and breast collar. Some of it was pretty steep and slippery. I'm positive the only way I could go up and down it on foot would be by grabbing trees to pull myself up or hold from sliding down. Interesting in snow, mud, and wet rock on a half crazy horse.

the time is getting closer.

i finally started a workout program, cardio and weights. only rode the horse once so far.

still need to decide on a gun. i can't seem to get my new addition .338 rum to shoot very well, so i have been thinking of my .257 weatherby mag with accubonds. a couple guys in this thread said it would be enough. but i need more reassurance. it shoots decently already, just need to practice with it some more.

What kind of groups are you shooting and have you tried a lot of different brands /grains or reloads? It doesn't have to be a tackdriver by any means!

If you can't get the .338 to shoot, have it looked at by a professional.

That said, not all rifles will shoot 1/2" groups, no matter how much load development you do. I've owned magnums I could not get under 2.5" no matter what I did & others that shot 1/2" factory fresh. Load development can only get as good as your rifle is capable of shooting.

Elk hunting is most environments means shooting something the size of a barn door at no more than 70 yards. (My last 6x6 was shot standing broadside to me at all of 9 yards — and he never knew I was there.). In these environments it's better to have a rifle with guaranteed penetration that shoots 2-3 MOA groups than one with dubious penetration that shoots .5 MOA groups.

If you are shooting open alfalfa field elk at 800 yards or more, accuracy is more critical, but then the .257 will be far too small for an elk. I love a .257, but elk deserve enough cartridge to guarantee a quick death even if you are not presented with a perfect target, and the .257 doesn't cary enough lead for that.

just less then 1.5 months till we leave. i have pretty much decided to take my .338 RUM for my main gun and my .257 weatherby mag for our groups back up gun.

picked up some rivers west gear last week. still gotta get some new layers for under it. i'm not gonna take my heavy weight normal deer gear from here in Pa. picked up a little camp stove to have have hot lunches while out hunting.

started getting all my gear in one place, and gave the money for our horses today.

YZEATER,

I've heard good things about this scabbord. see below. it should fit about any scope

Crooked Horn Outfitters Home of the Original Bino System - Rifle Scabbard

Also, If I were you I'd take either the .338 RUM since you want to use it. I would also throw in the rifle you are most comfortable with next. If it's the .257 then have at it. I'd get some Barnes TTSX ammo for it though. After killing many elk with them I wouldn't trust anything else. I haven't heard good things on the accubonds.. Also as some have mentioned before, keep shooting till the elk is down.

Get good clothing, the Rivers west(I've used it) is good if you'll be sitting mostly but if you have to hike you will sweat to death. Maybe look into Sitka, KUIU. if the funds don't allow for it look at the cabelas outfitters fleece or microfleece stuff. Its great for the cost. I'd recommend a merino wool baselayer, I like smartwool but theres also firstlight and a few others. It's soft wont itch and wont start to stink after a day of hunting.

Practice shooting up close, real close like 20-30yds out of breath, and also farther out using the out of breath practice. Most likely you'll be out of breath when shooting. Learn to shoot like that, it could save your hunt. I'd recommend shooting stick, I like the stoney points that you can add the third leg to, or the heavier all in one tripod shown here.

Cabela's: Shooting Sticks & Bipods

You can use these for glassing from using your binos (which you should be doing lots of) and shooting from. They are worth it.

I hope you have a great time and get an elk. Sounds like you have a great start on things. Good luck to you

thanks Boman.

i already have a decent load for my .257 with the AB's, so it's going for the backup gun.

were still waiting on the scabbards, if we have to buy any yet. i have a set of shooting sticks i plan on taking and using.

it seems like the past couple months flew by and our trip is almost here.

I hunt 13 every year and would highly advise knowing your boundaries on public land; the ranchers out there are some of the biggest #$%@$ I have ever seen. One in particular just loves harassing hunters that even get close. I have watched him and his hands heard elk away from public ground in their trucks, drive the public land borders in the field with their trucks with radio's blaring as well as having their clients hunt from their truck windows. I can't tell you how many times I have told myself no, no don't even think about it.
You'll need a lot of self control out there if you ever hunt in 13 but hang in there cause it's good ground and the #$%#$% can't stop all of them from crossing as hard as they try; I fill my tags every year.
If you like hunting long range you'll love the opportunities there that make the ranchers cry. gun)
Other advice is force as much water down the hatch as possible till your ready to come down and start at least a couple days before you get up there; that is the best medicine for preventing altitude sickness.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.