Colorado elk hunt, non resident, public ground.

I also think you will end up having to have a custom made scabbard for your rifle, as I've also never seen a regular one that would take scopes like you're talking about.

On my last guided elk hunt I sorted through the ±15 scabbards the outfitter had & used the largest — that my Browning A-bolt with a 3.5-10x50 Leupold fit quite snugly. One hunter never quite got his rifle into his scabbard.

I have seen larger scabbards advertised, so I know they can be bought SOMEWHERE, but they are not the norm & I wouldn't expect an outfitter to have any unless I cleared that in advance.

Being a lifelong Colorado resident I would say bring the 300 win. I have taken many animals with a 30-06 and 165gr boattails. That includes bull elk at 475 yards. The 257 would work fine but why under power it? A 30-378 is great but you probably won't be shooting far enough to make it count. I use either my '06 with 165's or my 300 RUM with 180's. That combo will take care of any situation that I may find.

I would agree that on an elk hunt, especially if you are going to be shooting at any real distances, that you should take take the biggest caliber that you are real comfortable with. They are a tough animal and the big bull my buddy shot with a 7 mag last Fall in Wyoming tried to get back up and shake it off before John put a second one in him to keep him down! That is one thing that I have heard a number of people say and it's to keep shooting until they're down for the count.

Lots of good advice here so far, I'll throw in my 2 cents. I have three rifles that I have hunted elk with and do not hesitake taking any of them. For the most part I have used Accubonds recently and usually my .300 Win Mag with 180's. Has dropped elk in their tracks, that last two at 297 yards and 350 yards. I have also used my 30-06 and a 7RM. Scopes have been 4X12X40 Leupold, X9X40 Leupold and 4.5X14X40 Nikon. These last two elk have been the farthest shots I have had to make. I have shot 6 other elk all between 75 and 150 yards. They are big animals and I shouldn't have to say, you need to hit where it hurts. Get you some good optics, binos and maybe a spotting scope, I suggest that you use them more than you may think. And as mentioned, get in the best shape you can.

So all this isn't much new to add to the topic, but something I do have some more avice on is altitude sickness. I used to get it pretty bad. I now start taking Ginkgo Biloba (you can find it anywhere that sells vitamins) a couple months before hunting season. I used to get sick every trip for the first day, headache, vomit, would be fine after a day or so. One trip to Utah's high country I got incredibly sick, took hours to get back to the truck, never thought a man could throw up or at least try too so much. Ten years ago I heard about taking the Ginkgo Biloba and gave it a try, haven't had any problem what so ever since. So at least for me, it works and I still use it every year starting in July.

Have a good time on your trip, but elk hunting can be addictive. I've had the bug since taking my first elk (a 6X8 tule elk here in California in '96). I may even be in that same unit in Colorado, its a toss up right now between an OTC rifle permit there or a general archery elk tag in Utah, all depend on what we draw in the regular draws.

Regardless, good luck to all and may the tag Gods be nice to you.

Cheers

Have hunted elk and lived in Colorado for twenty five years and there are some really good advice from previous members. The top three that I will say and have been previously posted are. Start riding at least a month beforehand, take the 30 and hydrate/ GB like crazy a week before you get here to avoid altitude sickness. Good luck and have fun.

IMO the .257 just might be a little too shy for the elk hunt... you are going all that way and why worry about being under gunned or worry about a wounded animal... not saying that a .257 is not adequite but a .300 win mag would be good choice. i'm confident in shooting elk with my 6.5-284 out to 600 yds or so but i am very familiar, confident, and comfortable with that rifle.

which rifle are you more comfortable and confident with? shoot a lot this summer and practice different shooting positions and ranges. Don't forget about using a good bullet also... Bergers are my choice but that is your choice to make.

Good luck

thanks for all the advice.

i think i may take my new 338 rum. i'm gonna shoot it some next week, then start reloading for it. if it shoots decent, it'll be going on a trip.

This is a little late but I have been using a TrailMax Scabbord for years. I have had Nightforce, Leupolds, Huskemaws in it with the flack jacket scope coats with room to spare and up to a 28 inch barrel. I actually use it as my gun case if I go on outfitted trips. It is very rugged but it is not waterproof, but very water resistant. It will shed snow and light rain all day. I picked mine up at Cabelas.

This is a little late but I have been using a TrailMax Scabbord for years. I have had Nightforce, Leupolds, Huskemaws in it with the flack jacket scope coats with room to spare and up to a 28 inch barrel. I actually use it as my gun case if I go on outfitted trips. It is very rugged but it is not waterproof, but very water resistant. It will shed snow and light rain all day. I picked mine up at Cabelas.

The outfitter had these on my last guided hunt. They are nice but varied wildly in size. Some were large enough for larger scopes & some clearly were not. One guy I hunted with never got his rifle fully into the scabbard — and he did not have a large scope. I had a Browning Stainless Stalker with a Leupold 3.5-10x50 that was a TIGHT fit. If I had target turrets I don't believe my rifle & scope would have fit in the scabbard I was using.

started my horse riding lessons. first time on one in about 12 years or so.

Attachments

• 0608012001.jpg
    0608012001.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 104
Be sure to ride up & down fairly steep hills. That is considerably different that trotting around on the flat-lands.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.