Utah cow and Barnes TSX

That's exactly what I thought. The Federal box has MV at 2650 and at 200 yards it says 2220. Guess I'll just shoot the bullets at the range. Expensive range ammo!!
the muzzle velocity on the box is never accurate its always slower then whats listed

I have only ever used the Barnes 100gr XLC (blue X bullet) out of my 25-06 to kill an Antelope at a distance of 225-250yds. I hit it in the lungs and it hunched up and trotted 10-15yds maybe and fell over. I had complete pass through of course and the lungs were pretty pulverized with a broken rib on the exit. The exit was pretty good sized but i'm guess that was due to the rib exploding out of the exit. There was an impressive short blood trail.
I've loaded Barnes in several other calibers but haven't connected with any other animals.

The most kills I've had have been with Sierra Bullets. They have always performed well for me.

Animals generally die from hemmorage (loss of blood) or collapse of the lungs.

Heart shot means no collapse of the lungs and no pumping action to promote blood loss.

Cheers,
-mox

Animals generally die from hemmorage (loss of blood) or collapse of the lungs.

Heart shot means no collapse of the lungs and no pumping action to promote blood loss.

Cheers,
-mox
So a heart shot won't kill ?? No pump means no blood to the brain, organs, etc. = dead

So what is your ideal shot heart, lungs, or shoulder?

I was close enough for ME to take a head shot but I didn't think the guide would appreciate it. For me the shot I had under 200 yards I could have put it in the ear hole.

Shot quite a few elk with a 308 and 30-06 with the 165 and with a 300 WBY and 168 Barnes, worst performing bullets period, which being a huge fan boy was disappointments galore. Tested Cutting Edge and while softer they had similar issues, could not find a mono that would match how lethal the Bergers we're till Hammers came out and dang, copper happiness, finally a lethal mono!!

So a heart shot won't kill ?? No pump means no blood to the brain, organs, etc. = dead

Never said that, but without a pump the oxygenated blood stays in/around the other organs, brain, and muscle tissue ... leading to a longer/slower death. /shrug

Never said that, but without a pump the oxygenated blood stays in/around the other organs, brain, and muscle tissue ... leading to a longer/slower death. /shrug
You realized that makes absolutely zero sense. You need to spend some time.e in an anatomy class. In layman terms, as simple as I can explain it: The heart pumps blood through the lungs where it gets oxygenated. The oxygen gets depleted and the oxygen less blood pumps through the heart. As soon as the heart stops no more oxygenated blood is going anywhere and it isn't being replenished. The rate of oxygen depletion has zero to do with the heart, it is a function of the organ consumption. No blood through the lungs no new oxygen. Heart shot or lung shot the result is quickly the same and in fact a heart shot will lead to quicker death almost every time. .

Last edited:
The oxygenated blood just sits there, and can sustain vital function for a time if the animal is not in fight-or-flight mode (likely due to shock.) A double-lung instantly works on both collapsing the lungs and causing the heart to beat faster, pushing blood out of the wound, into the lungs sacs/pleural space for asphyxiation, out of the wound channel, and keeping the body from restricting flow due to trauma response.

There is no blood pumping during a human heart-attack, either, but it's not instantly fatal, and while unconsciousness can quickly follow, the organs and brain can remain viable for a number of minutes because there is still blood (and the sugars) in/around the brain and organ. If that blood was actively pumped out, unconsciousness would arrive quickly due to lack of blood pressure and then death would occur marginally quicker as the body will keep the heart beating (and thus, draining) even during unconsciousness.

While both double-lung and heart shots are viable and terminal for sure, it's not a massive difference in actual death, even it one runs further.

The oxygenated blood just sits there, and can sustain vital function for a time if the animal is not in fight-or-flight mode (likely due to shock.) A double-lung instantly works on both collapsing the lungs and causing the heart to beat faster, pushing blood out of the wound, into the lungs sacs/pleural space for asphyxiation, out of the wound channel, and keeping the body from restricting flow due to trauma response.

There is no blood pumping during a human heart-attack, either, but it's not instantly fatal, and while unconsciousness can quickly follow, the organs and brain can remain viable for a number of minutes because there is still blood (and the sugars) in/around the brain and organ. If that blood was actively pumped out, unconsciousness would arrive quickly due to lack of blood pressure and then death would occur marginally quicker as the body will keep the heart beating (and thus, draining) even during unconsciousness.

While both double-lung and heart shots are viable and terminal for sure, it's not a massive difference in actual death, even it one runs further.
This info makes a lot of sense to me. Good intel!

So what is your ideal shot heart, lungs, or shoulder?

I was close enough for ME to take a head shot but I didn't think the guide would appreciate it. For me the shot I had under 200 yards I could have put it in the ear hole.
I feel the the heart/lungs is the best target as it is a lethal shot, it is a large target with a fair amount of room for error, and it is also a relatively stable area that doesn't swing around as much as the head, say as an elk is grazing with his head down, hears a noise and suddenly pops his head up where the heart/lungs area is still relatively in the same position while the head moved up six feet. I'm not saying a head, neck, or shoulder shot is wrong or not lethal, I just think this is a higher percentage shot especially at long range.

vitals.PNG

Plastic tip, run all the velocity you can get!
I used the 280 AI with the long range LRX 145 Gr and it performed well. It is supposed to be designed to open up at lower velocities. I had full penetration on a lung shot at 420 yds on one cow and the same at 100 yds on a really big lead cow another time. I still use the TTSX 168 Gr in my 300 as I stocked up on those a few years back.

I shot a bear through the heart with a partition. Literally shredded the entire heart. No blood could have pumped at all. He ran 100 yards on his residual o2. They die after they use up all their o2 in their blood.