Cow Elk - Nine Mile Range Creek, Utah

GonzoK34

My brother and I drew cow elk tags for "Nine Mile Range Creek" Carbon/Springville area in Central Utah. I know the majority of the unit is private property. With this in mind there are parcels of BLM and State holdings. Additional research shows that the DOW has purchased and exchanged large parcels for hunting access.

Has anyone ever hunted in this region? If so, can you provide some insight.

My brother and I are both 100% Disabled Veterans. This said we do put 200% into scouting and locating game. We shoot a considerable amount and are confident in our hunting abilities.

I've hunted the Gordon Creek unit west of Price several times with great success. But this year we didn't draw our first 2 choices. Nine Mile was a leftover option. The season is from Nov 23 - Dec 31, 2011. This does permit time for scouting before the season. I'll be in the region sometime in late August.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Gonzo
SEMPER FIDELIS

gonzok34 I live very near this unit I will have to check the boundries but you shouldnt have any trouble finding elk once you get weather, would be happy to help

270Winshort,
We located a site to set up our camp off of the 191 near the Dodge Plant east of Helper. After hunting 3 hard days we narrowed our efforts to Cold Canyon, Harmon Plateau and Dry Canyon. The 4th day we covered allot of country and than headed into dry Canyon around 3:30 pm. About a mile into the canyon we jumped 30+ head of elk. They ran up a steep escarpment and were trapped on a ledge at 200 yards. I shot a big cow, and than spotted for my brother, who also shot a nice cow.
We attempted to gain access to the West Ridge from Whitmore Canyon and discovered that the gate to West Ridge was locked and a road that branched off to the right which entered a CWMU. No permits, so we moved on.

Thanks for your help. It's greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Tony & Bobby.jpg
    Tony & Bobby.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 376
I am new to Utah and have been here for 5 years now and i purchased a antler less elk permit for the nine mile range creek area also and i will need all the help that i can get. I am 52 years old and not as young as i would like to be but that being said, If any one is going to hunt this area between January 1st through January 31st and is willing to help me , please let me know.

Thanks,
Rick

Rick,
We hunted the entire northern section from the west boundary to the eastern. Also worked the South end from Price to East Caron into Horse Canyon and into Turtle Canyon. This said, I strongly suggest the following areas:
All accessible from Wellington which is east of Price. Take Soldier Canyon Rd, which become's Nine Mile Road.

HARMON CANYON
This is a long narrow road winding up canyon up onto the Plateau. Follow this road to the summit. Take the first 4x4 trail to the right with a south west heading. The road follows the north west facing slope along the right away easement of the underground pipeline. It will curve around and with in a mile or so it will fork. You can go in either direction. We discovered extensive elk movement and active in this location. However, the snow was too deep for us to follow in my 4x4. Depending on how the weather you maybe able to hunt this. If it's too deep. Backtrack back to the main road an follow it to the southeast. It opens up into a large area. Follow it to the south for a couple of miles until you come to a road heading west. You will now be hunting the backside of the Mountain. This area has allot of fingers and canyons running off the main mountaintop. Lots of elk movement here also.

DRY CANYON
After Harmon Canyon continue east on Nine Mile Road to the Conversion plant located on the east side of Nine Mile. The sign will indicate that it is "Private Access". HOWEVER, there is an "Easement Right A Way" that goes along the left side of the Plant which lead's into Dry Canyon. This is essentially a box canyon. It's a 4x4 trail that travels for a great distance in the bottom of the canyon. There is running water and lots of draws that lead up the sides. There are terraced escarpments/Vertical bluffs which prevent game from readily escaping without traversing those bluffs. Therefore very few escape routes.
This is where we killed our elk. Note: I did LIMITED scouting into this canyon in the morning. Choosing to enter it around 3:00 PM. Reason being that elk wound move into the canyon bottom for water and grazing during the evening and thru the night.

COLD SPRING DRAW
This was a highly recommended area by friends who've had great success hunting quality bulls. We just never had to explore it after taking our Elk.

Good Luck,
Gonzo
SEMPER FIDELIS

Thank you for the Information. Probably the biggest question i have is..... Can this place be very dangerous during the winter times and if so, what would be recommended to take with me on this trip. This may sound dumb, but i want to be as prepared as possible.

I have an Antler-less Hunting License for January 1st through the 31st.At the nine mile range creek. I have never been Hunting around here. I do i find out what is private and what is public land ? And where is a good location to set up in this area. I don't know how to Elk hunt and was wondering if i have to keep moving or just find a location and just stay there and camp out for a week ? I could use all the help that I can get, and if anyone else is going at this time and place, if you would be willing to show me how it is done. I'm 52 years old and i think that i could handle a little of this. Not sure though. But I know that I would have a blast at just trying.

Work the canyons off of Nine Mile Road and the Plateaus. There was allot of gas line construction work being done last year. Four wheel drive is critical whether it rains or snows. The soil is clay like and slick. Chain up all four tires if it snows. Drive up on the various plateau they cover extensive areas with significant areas for elk to roam. I found heavy signs of elk movement all over the place. Have a farmers jack (HiLIFT) and recovery straps as well as a 2000 lb come a long. We had 700 yds of 1/2 rope and used every bit of it to drag our elk down to in a canyon bottom with a 4x4 trail where we were able to drive my truck into.

Concentrate on up/down hill shots. The elk we shot last year went up a steep stair stepped side hill. We made sight adjustments for the angle and held POA/POI making clean hits and single shot kills.

*Read my earlier post* It's big country, but don't get discouraged. Elk move allot, find fresh sign and mark it on your map. Determine the direction their traveling and find vantage points on the map that you can go to to intercept them.

Gonzo
SEMPER FIDELIS

Thank You very much for the Information. I will take this trip with all the gear possible.
Thanks again,

Rick

A good friend of mine was able to buy a leftover cow elk tag for Price Gordon Creek. We've hunted Gordon Creek in the past successfully. So depending on the time frame I may go out with him and help him out. If this does happen I'll let you know when he plans on being there.

I'm leaving home the 24th of October for Gunnison, Colorado where I'll meet up with my brother who's driving up from Texas. We'll be hunting the Alpine Plateau south of Cimirron.

Hey...
Hunted the avintaquin unit last year... muzzle loader... had a spike and cow tag... got the spike... could have gotten a cow but didn't...
Tent camped at 9300 feet... to cold for an old guy... hence the diesel rig...though it was fun...
So... to the point...
Cow and Bull tag for rifle season this year... nine mile range creek...
Want to find someplace to park a Diesel pusher and Jeep... near or in the unit... its an old rig and I don't mind getting dirty... thinking about the campground... but it'll be a long trip to nine mile hunting grounds... Would be nice to have some fly fishing somewhat nearby also...
Any suggestions??? Thoughts??? Tips???
From what I can tell... public land on some of the North side... Private on the south east???
Thanks for any input...
Airacer (dis. vet.)
P.S. don't live nearby

i am hunting this unit in jan for cow. this is only my 3rd year hunting and i am not above asking for help :) if anyone is hunting the late hunt and needs a buddy i have no problem pulling my weight and some.
I just really wanna put the smack down gun) on one this year, it would be my first big game.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.