UT Monroe Elk Down

Dirt_Nap

I'm the AZ resident that lucked out with 5 points drawing limited rifle elk. Beautiful country and awesome action. This was my 1st elk hunt so I decided to skip on the outfitter and went DIY. Took my 15 year old son and some buddies. We spotted this elk 2 miles away on the side of the hill. We drove over and made our way down into position. Got to 425 yards and I felt good. He was quartered away and I sent the 199gr Hammer Hunter from my 300prc. Perfect shot and the 6x7 bull dropped in a few seconds.
It was a memorable 4 days and I was so happy that my son was with me. I begged to hunt as a child and it never happened. My son was a badass all week and never complained about anything. Put the work in with a smile! I think he's hooked.
Anyway, here's my bull and wanted to say thanks to this forum. I'm new to all of this and so many of you have helped me the last few years. Thanks!
IMG_0449.jpeg

I'm the AZ resident that lucked out with 5 points drawing limited rifle elk. Beautiful country and awesome action. This was my 1st elk hunt so I decided to skip on the outfitter and went DIY. Took my 15 year old son and some buddies. We spotted this elk 2 miles away on the side of the hill. We drove over and made our way down into position. Got to 425 yards and I felt good. He was quartered away and I sent the 199gr Hammer Hunter from my 300prc. Perfect shot and the 6x7 bull dropped in a few seconds.
It was a memorable 4 days and I was so happy that my son was with me. I begged to hunt as a child and it never happened. My son was a badass all week and never complained about anything. Put the work in with a smile! I think he's hooked.
Anyway, here's my bull and wanted to say thanks to this forum. I'm new to all of this and so many of you have helped me the last few years. Thanks!
View attachment 496607
That is a great bull - congrats!

I am sure @RockyMtnMT will like to hear of your success with the 199 gr Hammer Hunter.

My favorite Monroe Mountain memory was also with my boys. I took my song boys hunting on an archery hunt. They were fully decked out in camo and each had a hoochie mama cow call. We spread out in some thick cover about 20yds apart and called a small 6pt in between us. The bull was screaming up a storm! I remember looking at my boys who were wide eyed as the bull screamed from 5yds away. My youngest was mouthing shoot shoot. With the bulls going nuts, I passed….something I've regretted for years. Decades later…they are now the ones passing animals!