Using the KIFARU Gunslinger differently

Litehiker

The KIFARU Gunslinger is meant to carry your rifle vertically with the butt suspended in a Hypalon pouch hanging from your pack belt and the quick release (QR) Velcro strap around the barrel and attached to your pack shoulder strap.

It works but you will get the barrel banging your head at times in a steep climb or descent.

I've been experimenting with placing the entire rig on the side of the pack, with the QR strap attached to the top side of my pack and a sewn-on extension strap hanging over my shoulder. So far it seems to work IF I have the butt pocket securely attached to the pack so it cannot pull up with the butt when I pull the rifle out.

MAIN PROBLEM: Getting the rifle butt back into the pouch and securing the barrel, both with the pack on. Still working on this. I may end up with the rifle slung under my arm at an angle. What I need is to be able to use my hiking poles while carrying the rifle.

I'll update this post if and when I can get to a carry configuration I like.

BTW, I use the hiking poles for "shooting sticks" as well and they work just fine with the poles crossed at the handle area and the straps passed over and through each other making a rifle fore arm rest.

Eric B.

This post would be 100% better if it had an explanatory photograph.

The KIFARU Gunslinger is meant to carry your rifle vertically with the butt suspended in a Hypalon pouch hanging from your pack belt and the quick release (QR) Velcro strap around the barrel and attached to your pack shoulder strap.

It works but you will get the barrel banging your head at times in a steep climb or descent.

I've been experimenting with placing the entire rig on the side of the pack, with the QR strap attached to the top side of my pack and a sewn-on extension strap hanging over my shoulder. So far it seems to work IF I have the butt pocket securely attached to the pack so it cannot pull up with the butt when I pull the rifle out.

MAIN PROBLEM: Getting the rifle butt back into the pouch and securing the barrel, both with the pack on. Still working on this. I may end up with the rifle slung under my arm at an angle. What I need is to be able to use my hiking poles while carrying the rifle.

I'll update this post if and when I can get to a carry configuration I like.

BTW, I use the hiking poles for "shooting sticks" as well and they work just fine with the poles crossed at the handle area and the straps passed over and through each other making a rifle fore arm rest.

Eric B.

I've used the Kifaru gun bearer affixed to my pack harness for about 6 years now. It's a decent solution to backpacking with both hands free, allowing one to use hiking poles in both hands. I hunt in grizzly country and I must be able to access my rifle without having to lose too much time.
Agree that photos will be necessary to support this topic.

I've been running the Kifaru Gunbearer for a few years and it works well for me.
I have mine set up as the Kifaru instruction videos demonstrate.
I think you may need to re adjust it somewhat if the barrel is hitting you in the head. I have never had that happen and my rifle has a 26" barrel and weighs 12+ lbs.

LH, you don't have it adjusted right if it hits your noggin. I often wear a cowboy hat and it never even comes lose to the big brim. Another option is to put your forearm behind the sternum strap, and wear it cross-chest. A tad slower to deploy, but once you practice releasing the squeeze buckle it seems second nature. Here is pics both ways.....

d3d7c19b-91db-49a2-8350-87c916bddc1c_zpsrrhoqqin.jpg

GunBearer.jpg

Agree with Huntsman22 - been using it this way for years but I run it having the scope pointing down, much more comfortable and you don't have the scope constantly bumping you.

Huntsman and Cowboy,

My test with the rifle at an angle by my side was no-go. Too floppy.

I agree with both your methods (cross chest and scope down) and will try them today. I may even put the Kifaru QR buckle on my sternum strap to see if that works.

THANK YOU!

Eric B.

LH, did you kinda twist the upper QR strap on your rifle or just slap it shut? if you put a twist/tension (I don't know how to explain it better) on the gun, it takes away the 'flop'.

OK guys, I've taken the advice of placing my rifle in the "scope down" position with the forearm end QRT buckle strap around my right shoulder strap just below my sternum strap. The rifle sits at an angle B/C the Kifaru butt pocket is on my waist belt but back against the pack. This setup is quite comfortable.

I've trained on trails and our treadmill for hours with this position and found it perfect for my needs.
Thank you very much. The site is great for this kind of advice.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.