Which Kifaru Pack??

Big Smitty

I am getting into elk hunting and have 2 trips planned this year. One in Idaho which will be a base camp type trip with an outfitter with return to camp each night. The AZ trip will be in unit 4B with day hunts from the truck.

I am looking at the spike camp and late season packs. Both look to be good day packs. The main difference looks to be 1000 ci in capacity. My thinking is to go with the larger size and then use compressions traps to tighten the bag around the load.

The other thing I thought about was getting the duplex frame and strapping a bag i already have to it. This way I can add a Nomad to it at a later time an use it for self hunts. I was just concerned that the duplex frame might be overkill for my 2 hunts this year.

I guess it's just preference and cost. Want to make sure I am getting good gear and a good value that is comfortable and functional for the task. Looking for some advice from some of the experienced guys here. Thanks!

Honestly, you are going to be best served with something with the duplex or bikini frame in my opinion. If you are NEVER going to have to haul meat because you have a horse or packer, the SC or LS may be good options. The versatility of the duplex system is second to none.

I have had the duplex and bikini frames, duplex timberline 1 and 3 bags, and now the nomad. For a a day bag with the ability to expand to cover 7 days if needed and still haul a half an elk in one trip... the nomad is going to be amazing.

Being how this is a "long range rifle" site, the nomad also makes an awesome rifle hauler. Just put the butt in the grab it, secure the wings around it, and you have a stable, secure, and protected way to haul your gun, and it is reasonably easy to get into.

I have used badlands, blakcs creek, sitka, mystery ranch... I will never look back. If you are looking at a more affordable but similar option, the horn hunter full curl is awesome pack for its price point.

Joe

Man you have been through some packs. I like the Nomad, just thought it might be a little overkill for my needs. The Idaho hunt will have packers I am told. The AZ hunt will probably involve packing out meat. This is a self hunt with a couple of friends from the area. I just found out I drew the tag.

Well I need to get to ordering. Duplex with the Nomad and grab it. Any other accessories that i should get??

Here is a picture of mine that I put my long-range rifle and Browing BAR in it plus 30 pounds to get in shape with. :)

joseph

Attachments

• back pack .JPG
    back pack .JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 297
For what you are using it for the nomad and grab it is all you will likely need. THat said, i always have a medium belt pouch on my belt for the stuff you want to get to quickly.

I added the XTL lid for a few more more CI and easy access to some gear without having to undo buckles. But it would probably be more than you need for day stuff only, especially if you have a guide and packer.

I am new to the long range game, but kifaru also makes a rifle case the attaches to the inside of the nomad that looks very nice. It appears to be overkill for my rifle, but like i said, some of the rifles on here look to cost as much as my pickup and you may like the extra protection.

The beauty of Kifaru is that if you get the stuff, and you want to add to it you can. Or, if you get the stuff and dont like it or it doesnt do exactly what you want, the resale value on used stuff is insane.

For a very very in depth amount of research on this topic, check out Rokslide.com forums.

If you have any questions hit me up.

Joe

Or go to the kifaru site and check out their forums---lots of great info. My advice is for the bikini with either the nomad or timberline 3. And if you have not yet checked out stone glacier---they are also very good packs.

Randy

I have had the DT3 and the only reason I like the nomad more is the ease of being able to haul large heave or awkward loads. With the DT3 you end up having the sandwich the load between the frame and the bag and is kind of a pain in the butt. I have done 3 days with a DT3 and it was a very tight fit... I know that the OP was not planning overnight stuff... but in the future it may be nice to have the option and the nomad would be much better for that. Plus I think the nomad is lighter and cheaper than the DT3 as well.

as far as bikini vs duplex, I have both and use the bikini for all my hunting, but when it comes to packing meat or quarters, or anything awkward, the duplex seems to handle the job better.

I typically advise people to get the Duplex over the Bikini if only getting one and the extra 1.5 pounds is not a big deal... but honestly you cannot go wrong with either option. Its all personal preference.

Joe

Thanks guys for all the input. I ordered the Nomad with the duplex. I also got the grab it II and a couple of belt pouches. Can't wait until it gets here.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.