Using scope turrets

JWH Clark

Hi guys

Need some help. im just about to start using the turrets on my Nightforce scopes and was wondering where I can get info on how to use them properly? They are both 1/4 MOA adjustments.

Thanks

I'll tell ya how I do it. Some may do it differently , but its worked for me out to 1150 yards, of course with verifying. First I load test, find the most accurate load while shooting over a cronograph and recording your velocity. When you find your load you want, you need to put a zero on it. Whether it be 100-200-300 yards. Once you zero it you need to enter all your ballistic information such as, caliber, bullet weight, Muzzle velocity, Ballistic coefficient, altitude, temperature. Once you do that, it will give your trajectory out to however far you want to shoot. I have never understood MOA, so I go to a place thats free and does the clicks for you. Its called, www.biggameinfo.com click on ballistics calculator and enter your data. It will give all your numbers you want, plus tell you your come up clicks. Next thing to do is write them down. I like to count them at home, then write the # that correspongs on the scope, on a piece of paper. That way your not out in the field counting clicks when you range something. Say its 500 yards and you need 26 clicks, well on most 1/4" scopes, that would be something like the # 6.2, at least on my Leupold scopes. Makes it a lot faster. The last thing to do is to actualy shoot to your max distance and at least in 50 yard increments. There is a lot of variables and this will show you what your bullets actually doing. Then you can verify your drop chart and make changes accordingly. I dont think I missed anything.

You pretty much nailed it Rem. However if you use the function in that ballistics program that gave you your click count in MOA + remaining clicks (like your example of 26 clicks = 6 MOA + 2 more clicks) then you wouldn't have to sit at home counting 352 clicks and wondering if you missed one. That is why we buy scopes with MOA markings. If you (not you REM but someone else) really like to use another program (I know we all like using what we are used to) simply employ a calculator and divide the clicks by 4 to get MOA. Then estimate the remainder to the nearest 1/4 MOA. Example: 139 clicks is 34+3. If your turrets are 15 MOA around this would be 2 full rotations, 4 MOA and 3 clicks. If they are 12 MOA around it is 2 rotations, 10 MOA and 3 clicks. Or the slow way: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16.....You get the idea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If a guy is going to buy a $1200 scope he owes it to himself to learn and understand MOA. Other wise it is like buying a fast car with a good stereo but only singing to himself as he drives.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.