Scope with target turrets or not?

aglass1987

I recently started varmint hunting last year. I shot a groundhog a 400 yds with a bushnell banner 4-12x40. I was wondering about the adjustments for elevations. Alot of people like the scopes with tall target turrets. Could I not dial in just as good with the regular fingertip ones? Whats the advantage of target turrets, are they just easier to dial in. The longest shot I have to shoot at is alsmost 600 yds. And I really aint wanting to buy me another scope right yet. Anybody have any comments.

I recently started varmint hunting last year. I shot a groundhog a 400 yds with a bushnell banner 4-12x40. I was wondering about the adjustments for elevations. Alot of people like the scopes with tall target turrets. Could I not dial in just as good with the regular fingertip ones? Whats the advantage of target turrets, are they just easier to dial in. The longest shot I have to shoot at is alsmost 600 yds. And I really aint wanting to buy me another scope right yet. Anybody have any comments.

First off, welcome to LRH!

There is nothing wrong with using shorter turrets.
If it works for you-great.
Can you zero your turrets?
How are they marked?

The problem with fingertip turrets is you have to remeber how many clicks you've turned them, where as with the target turrets most have marks for indexing how many clicks you have turned up or down and if you have zero stops you only have to turn them back till they stop.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.