Using optics/ Wearing glasses

Musket_0

New to shooting at long range, and find that I have a conflict with my persciption glasses. I have tried contacs, but can't wear them. My eyes will not stop watering. Tried polorized glasses, gets to dark to see a good picture of the sight/target.
Problem from the regular glasses is glare reflecting from scope to glasses and back to scope. Have any of you had this problem? If so, what else is there to do about it?
Blinded in Michigan and need advise, Jeff

Might be an issue w/ your glasses. If you get some of the better coatings on the lenses, they tend to pass the light thru rather than reflect it.

Just a thought,

Monte

If I could correct one thing it would be my vision. Despite all the new technology, individuals that have poor vision have such a handicap with this endeavor. I wear glasses and have worn contacts. I agree with Milanuk, prescription lenses can be manufactured with a nonglare coating applied these days. There are also devices that can be affixed to the Ocular Lens that will actually extend outward a couple inches taking up the eye relief and minimizing the glare. Even Butler Creek caps will block some of the glare as well. Go out to midwayusa.com or sportmansguide.com, they may have something.
--------------------------------------------

Experience the best, Judge the rest!!

[ 09-16-2004: Message edited by: PracTac ]

I wear glasses and have switched to lenses with anti reflection coatings. What a difference mostly for things like driving or in the house with overhead lighting. Try these and you will never go back to reg. lenses.

Best part about wearing glasses - never having to worry about safety protection. My glasses have saved my eyes many times over the years. Would never shoot with contacts because of this.

Jerry

Thanks, went witth good glass on the rifle. Guess I should have thoght about the shooter also. I will definitly give that a try. Thanks, Jeff
cool.gif

Musket, that reminds me of something
First time i ever shot a rifle was with my dads 30-06. If theres one thing movie dont portray properly at all, its recoil. My face was too close to the scope and it hit my glasses HARD.i probably would have cut my eye browse or something

There are many different eye related problems. I need glasses to read, but not necessarily walking in the woods, although that vision is degrading a little bit.

Generally, I can adjust the focus on a scope and get clear crosshairs, without using glasses. But, I'm actually more comfortable with the "vision thing" as #41 might say; if I wear them all the time.

The problem is cold weather and hoods, and scarf clothing around my face, etc. Usually fogs my glasses, so (instead) I have to wear a watch cap, which is not as warm.

Anyway, that's the dilemma. Wear the glasses and set my focus for them, or go without, and lose a tiny bit of sharpness, at extended range.

Wearing the glasses will always permit a little side glare, even though I have the expensive coatings and the polycarbonate lenses. Since I hunt at night, I notice this a lot, which is why I tend to go without the corrective lenses in cold weather.

It is definitely something that everyone needs to sort out as best they can. I'm still working on it....although, I must say; I sure miss the 20/10 vision of my youth.

Good hunting. LB

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.