Optics Setup

BMosh

I just purchased my first long range hunting rig, a Savage 111 Long Range Hunter in .300 Win Mag. I'm topping it with a Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x50mm. I'm looking for recommendations on the best way to mount the scope. Which is preferred, a single or dual piece base? Also, I would like to keep the lowest possible profile on the scope. Any recommendations on ring height/type. Open to suggestions. Pics of similar set ups would be awesome.

I have used both one piece and two piece bases and never had a problem with either one. However I use one piece bases on most of my rifles. One thing I can say for two piece bases is they do allow for easier cleaning under the scope. I have two Leupold VX3 6.5-20x50mmLRT scopes one is on a Remington 700 action and the other is on a Browning A-Bolt action and both are sitting in Leupold medium height rings with no clearance issues. Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.