Using laser bore sighter and Burris offset inserts

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by nivlac1960, Sep 24, 2011.

1. nivlac1960

nivlac1960 Member

I recently purchased a laser bore sighter to get my scopes as close to optical center as possible using Burris signature zee rings and their offset inserts. Where should I set my scope when lasering at only 7 yds. and wanting a hundred yd. zero to start? My scopes reticles are 1- 17/32" and 1-11/16" above bore center. This is the farthest I can laser in my basement. Also I'm not quite sure where to put the offset inserts to make the corrections as I might be a little bit dyslexic [​IMG].

2. Dr. Vette

Dr. Vette Well-Known Member

I do it in the evening and laser the garage door across the street. It's exactly 100 yards away and works well. At only 7 feet I'm not sure you can figure out much based on my results.

FYI, I've also done it out the basement window at something 20-30 yards away and while not as good as 100 it's far better than 7 feet.

3. nivlac1960

nivlac1960 Member

Dr. Vette,
    Thanks for the reply. I live in the city with a park across the street so no hauling rifles out to laser at 100 yds. I have been tinkering in basement and have found a solution. The only problem is that it might take a few moves with the inserts to get close without being too far from optical center. It just means more time at the range. Darn it all:)gun).

4. Dr. Vette

Dr. Vette Well-Known Member

FYI, my neighbors have no idea I'm doing this. I suspect that if you think about it there is an inobtrusive way you can do it. My business partner lives in a big subdivision and we use a garage across the street and 2 houses down from him. The beams are usually small enough that no one sees them unless directly in line. Your park may be perfect.

Worst case is you drive a bit out of town and do it.