Using a Kestrel and Ballistic App.

Bushmasta

I'm new to long range shooting and trying to get this figured out. I have downloaded the "Shooter" ballistic app for my phone. One of the features is auto weather, in which the app, downloads wx data from the nearest wx station to calculate the trajectories.

After reading some of the discussions on LRH, I'm confused. Posters have indicated that the wx stations baro pressure is corrected/adjusted for sea level pressure (SLP). So if that is the case why would the program use those pressures? For example I'm in MT at 4500'. I'm not suppose to use the baro pressure from wx station b/c it is off?

Also If I use my Kestrel 3500, posters say I must adjust the the altitude to ZERO to get the correct pressure to input into the app? (when it isn't downloading the wx from local station due to no signal) Is that correct? or can I just input the the pressure/altitude from the kestrel and GPS? Thanks.

I'm a transplant and live in Helena, MT. Read your profile, I'm a sponge, looking to learn everything I can about this LR shooting. I'm also interested in getting started in reloading, as it seems to go hand in hand.

I'm a transplant and live in Helena, MT. Read your profile, I'm a sponge, looking to learn everything I can about this LR shooting. I'm also interested in getting started in reloading, as it seems to go hand in hand.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.