US869 powder and hang fire

littledevil2873

Went to the range today with my new toy. Rem Sendero long action, 28 inch 9 twist douglas barrel, 7 Rum necked down to 6.5 mm. Started off with 85 gr of 869 and got hang fire. Increased charge in 1/2 grain increments up to 89 grs and could not get rid of the hang fire. Swithed to Ramshot Magnum. Started out with 83 grs and went to 86 grs. Out of 20 shots with the Magnum powder, had 3 hang fires. I'm using CCI 250 primers. Does any body have any idea what is going on.

+1 on possible bad primers. Try the Federal gold medal match 215 magnum primers.

Also, are you sure it is a hang fire and not excessive pressure from other circumstances? If youre using a tight chamber and especialy if it includes a tight neck chamber, you can easily experiance VERY high pressures quick.

I did start with a new lot of primers. Every time i had a hang fire velocities were 200fps slower than my other loads. When they hapened I could here the firing pin hit and about 1/4 second later the gun would go off. Not very good for group size. I felt like I was shooting a old side lock muzzle loader.

About 12 yrs ago I had the same problem with the CCI 250 primers in my Rem 700 7mm Mag. Switched to Winchester Mag primers and haven't had one hang fire since, I would change primer brands!
JMHO,
Wayne aka WAMBO

I have 3,000 250's and about 500 Rem 9 1/2. The Rem primers are about 5 yrs old and the 250's about 1 1/2 yrs. I hate to not use them for something.

I have found the CCI primers to be a little bit cooler-weaker than the Federal GM215's. It sucks to waste all those primers but if their bad then their bad and nothing is gonna make them better.
it doesen't take much for a box of primers to go bad, I lost about 10,000 last year when my AC gave out and my house got hot and humid for 6-8hrs then got cool in just a couple , that happened on a Thursday and I loaded up some shells on friday night and they were all bad on Saturday morning and that was with a 308 winchester

You may also want to check you primer flash holes ,if their to small or have an obstruction then that will cause this problem also

Just wanted to add my support for the Federal Gold Medal Match primers and dislike of the CCI 250s. I used the CCI's for years, then one day when complaining about poor groups for no good reason a buddy suggested I switch to the Federal primers. I did and I will never go back to CCI's. All in my mind??? Maybe, but I'll stick with the Federals anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Just wanted to add my support for the Federal Gold Medal Match primers and dislike of the CCI 250s. I used the CCI's for years, then one day when complaining about poor groups for no good reason a buddy suggested I switch to the Federal primers. I did and I will never go back to CCI's. All in my mind??? Maybe, but I'll stick with the Federals anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I am not a CCI fan either. Try some Federal 215m for ignition. A big dose of ball powder needs some seriouse spark, and the fed215s are the hottest out there.

Littledevil,

First off, get some Fed 215 primers. You need a hotter flame then the CCI-250 can give you.

Second, if you have a 6.5-7mm RUM, this is a simple matter of needing more powder. YOur pressures are to low and like the old H-870, you need to get up close to working pressures before the powder will perform well. I would imagine you have some pretty serious carbon fouling as well.

In my 257 Allen Mag, which is an improved version of a 25-338 RUM and has a couple grains more capacity then what a standard 6.5-7mm RUM would have, I am using 92.0 gr of WC872 under a 156 gr ULD RBBT.

I am not sure what bullet you are using in your 6.5 but I would assume its a 140-142 class bullet which is common for a heavy weight bullet.

What I would recommend is to forget the 1/2 grain jumps in powder charge.

Start at 86.0 gr of US869 and increase the powder charge a full grain at a time. Load only one round for each load. Work up to the 90.0 gr range and see what happens.

I would suspect you will start to see the hangfired go away at around 90.0 gr and then you can work up from there. This is a very large case capacity for the 6.5mm bore so you will have a narrow pressure window to work with with these powders.

Forget Ramshot magnum, to fast burning for anything but a 100 gr bullet and this is far to light for your case capacity.

Stick with 869, get some hot Fed 215 primers and keep loading up until the hangfires stop. Watching obviously for any pressure signs on the way.

Another tip, seat your bullets into the lands, not dramatically but 5 thou or so. This will help promote intial powder ignition but offering more initial resistance. If you start low with the bullet seated into the lands and work up your load with this seating depth you will work up to perfectly safe loads.

You are basically using 6.5 STW load levels in a case capacity that is MUCH larger then that. Just an issue of low pressure and 869 does not play well with low pressure, work her up!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
+1 on possible bad primers. Try the Federal gold medal match 215 magnum primers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or Winchester Mags

CCI's Suck!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.