US OPTICS ANTI CANT DEVICE

The USO guys are very helpful on the phone so I'd be interested in their clarification of the leveling statement posted above.

Hi W, not sure which device you're looking at. The USO units fold in on my groundhog guns when not being used. I sling my rifles over left shoulder, muzzle down. A non-folding level on my right-handed guns would be jabbing me in the back.

Skinny Shooter: Oh yeah... I agree with your statement(s), except about the canting one. I understand Mr. Tubbs statements.

If I used the Anti Cant Devices, the one that I would choose would definitely be USO's.

I have a difficult time understanding why a hunter would spend a good amont of money on a solid shooter, and then skimp on the other needed equipment and accessories... Where is the logic with that?

[ QUOTE ]
I could be wrong, but I was told that G. David Tubbs Always shoots in all competitions, with his rifle Canted.

[/ QUOTE ]Probably half the competitive bullseye shooters cant their rifles to some degree. It helps trigger control by putting your trigger hand in a more natural, unstressed position. For scopes, they'll level the reticule on the canted rifle. For aperture sights, the front sight will have a spirit level in the sight mounted on a barrel band that's rotated to level with the rifle canted.

Note that these folks have both an elevation and windage zero for each range because the line of sight is not directly over the bore. Not a problem when targets range from 50 to 1000 yards.

But hunters shouldn't cant their rifles but instead level the scope on them and change elevation (hold or sight setting) for different ranges. It's much easier this way. A few folks have had a small bubble level put in their scopes at the reticule plane so they're visible at all magnifications. Inside the scope, they're well protected from whatever goes on outside the scope. They're a tiny bit out of focus but do the job quite well. Check with a custom reticule outfit to see if they'll put one in for you. If I wanted a scope level indicator, this is where I'd put it.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.