US OPTICS ANTI CANT DEVICE

G

If you like using Anti Cant Devices, here is one that puts all of the other Anti Cant Devices to shame.

Gear_USO_swivbase03WEB.jpg

Anti-Cant Device (bubble level, ring type)
This device is available in 30mm and soon will be available in 35 and 40mm diameters.
It can be positioned anywhere on the scope tube (can slide back and forth), for maximum visual use.
It can be made in any color to match the scope.
It can also be rotated to the angle you wish. Usually the bubble is aligned horizontally to be at a 90-degree angle to the vertical crosshairs in the scope. A 0 degree angle to the horizontal line or stadia is also a good way of doing it in the absence of a vertical hair or stadia line.

Note: it is not important to have the bubble exactly aligned at a precise angle with the horizontal or vertical elements of the scope (Reticle, turret, rail top etc.), as long as the bubble is placed in the same position and alignment each time you shoot. It is a common mistake to assume that the accuracy of the repeatability of the device depends on the exact vertical or horizontal alignment, but it is very important to make sure the location of the bubble is repeated each and every time you take a shot.

[ QUOTE ]
This device is available in 30mm and soon will be available in 35 and 40mm diameters.
It can be positioned anywhere on the scope tube (can slide back and forth), for maximum visual use.
It can be made in any color to match the scope.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a bit confused /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif. It looks to me as though it attaches to the rail.

If you like Anti Cant Devices, there isn't anything better on the market. It's dependable, accurate, and made by some of the Best Americans on the planet. I have never owned a USO Scope, but users claim them to be a tier one product.

Now thats what I'm talking about. I like the looks of that one,especially since it folds in. Whats the price on it? Are they available currently?

Thanks to Skinny Shooter for supplying the EaRL - I found:

Bill - THe unit shown attaches to the rail. They also make a scope mounted unit ( non-pivoting Price: $59.95 (colors extra), pivoting version Price:$69.95 )

Picatinny style Price: $48.95

Publisher's Note: We have a large selection in the LRH Gear Shop

One thing I find disturbing about the Picatinny slider version is they write: <font color="red">
From unit to unit the angle may vary 1 degree or 2 degrees, don't be alarmed by this.

Note: it is not important to have the bubble exactly aligned as long as the bubble is placed in the same position and alignment each time. It is a common mistake to assume that the accuracy of the repeatability of the device depends on
the exact vertical or horizontal alignment, but it is very important to make sure the location of the bubble is repeated
each and every time you take a shot.</font>

I line my reticle up with a plumb-bob; I want my anti-cant device perfectly level with the reticle so I can quickly verify vertical. I don't want to think about 3.7 degrees left (or was that right????). Since it's not adjustable, I think I'll go with the scope-ring version. The pivoting is a great feature.

100_0331.jpg

The non-pivoting version looks quit a bit like the $15-shipped
AACD (affordable Anti-cant device)
I'm sure the $50 unit is more robust - but I've been happy with my $15 unit.

The pivoting scope version is a must have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a good unit but I to have to question the comment about not needing the bubble dead center for best performance.

This is not an accuracy or consistancy issue at all. It is true that if you cant a rifle the same way every time, accuracy and consistancy will not be effected.

The problem is that your groups will land off center of your aiming point with the direction the rifle is canted. If you cant to the left you will group to the left, if you cant to the right, you will group to the right.

Does not matter how tight the groups are if they do not consistantly land where you expect them to land.

Just my opinion, again, looks like a great product but I disagree with their opinion that canting a rifle has no effect on bullet placement.

Kirby Allen(50)

You should call them on the phone and ask them directly what they mean by the statement that they made. I didn't read it like that. If the anti cant device attaches to the rail, and the scope rings attach to the rail, wouldn't they be on the same plane anyway? Or do you guys shoot with a canted reticle? Holy Cow.

Canting will effect the elevation you get from your clicks in MOA. Same with windage. Should be truly level.

I have a couple of the US Optics rail mounted types. But with proper scope mounting there isn't room for the scope. By proper I mean low as practical. I went with a railed ring offerred by TPS. They are difficult to find.
http://www.tacticalprecision.com/trac_system.htm
It's tough but very hard to use. You can't easily see the bubble and there is not even a center match mark for reference.

This one is better than USO's flat out:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1758&amp;title=BUBBLE+LEVEL

In school, you're taught to always shoot level. I could be wrong, but I was told that G. David Tubbs Always shoots in all competitions, with his rifle Canted.

As far as the Anti Cant Device goes, I beleive that one small bump on a tree, or rock, or a drop of some sort would bust the bubble level off of the scope. Appears that way doesn't it.

The one on Brownells web site looks better than the first one. However, USO's does fold in and out of the way.

You are correct David Tubbs notonly shoots with a canted rifle,but also recomends canting. Mr. Tubbs goes into great detail in his secound book on the benifits of canting a rifle, but he does level his reticle to the horizon,yet his rifle is canted. I am not intending to debate the pro &amp; cons of such, but his record as a long rangwe competitor is quite impressive.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.