Anti cant device

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by wyomingblizzard, Mar 28, 2012.

1. wyomingblizzard

wyomingblizzard Well-Known Member

I was wondering how many of the long range hunters out there use an anti cant device? Why or why not. Thanks:cool:

2. Longbullet

Longbullet Active Member

I have a cosign indicator, but I don't use it anymore. I had to go in and get a new one because mine was sticking because it had dust in it. Not sure if it ever really worked all that well. I guess I need to try the new one. Although, one time I checked it against a leupold rangefinder and it matched. If I had the $100 to do over, I wouldn't buy one.

3. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Well-Known Member

I use one & I won't hesitate to state, most LONG range shooters do as well. I honestly done worry too much about cant inside 500yds but.....:D. Cant can have a very significant effect on point of impact which in my limited knowledge increase right along with the range of the shot.

Take a look at the attached picture, this test was done (not by me) at 600yds IIRC with a 308. One with Left cant, no cant, & right cant, you will probably be as surprised as I was.

Attached Files:

4. Gene

Gene Well-Known Member

Now that picture is impressive. I am aware of the problem with a canted rifle, so have the device on many scopes. Problem is that in my hurry to get off a shot, I usually do not pay attention to it.

5. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

I began using them a few years back and found that it made a substantial difference in my +500 yard shots. This is particularly the case when hunting with a bipod on uneven terrain, without the visual references that you generally have when shooting at the range or off a bench. The previous post demonstrating just 600 yards tells it all. All my LR rigs have either a Holland or Flatline level mounted. Very cheap insurance! IMHO.

6. Outlaw6.0

I'm also running a Holland, very nice unit. Grey, you're making me jelous, I am trying to convince myself I don't need a FlatLine.... it's not working:D

I don't know about you guys but, i'm usually quite a ways off when I mount my rifle preparing to fire... Thank the lord for ACD's lol

7. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

Outlaw, the Flatline is a nice unit, but my last three bought have been Hollands. It costs a lot less, works just as well, more compact, and you don't have to remember to flip it open in the heat of the moment.

8. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

The anti cant is essential IMO, the pics above clearly illustrate the need! My consistency at longer ranges improved after putting on a Hollands anti cant.

9. REDHEAD

REDHEAD Well-Known Member

I didn't understand them for a long time. Now they make sence to me. You use them when shooting from rough and uneven terrain. Thanks, I will start checking into them.lightbulb

10. dig

dig Well-Known Member

Like everyone is stating, past 500 yards you need one. As another factor it helps with your preshot routine. As I settle my nerves and go through my preshot routine, I check lcant first and prior to the last step of pulling the trigger. Gives you something to pay attention to and settle down before that trophy/buck fever ruins your shot. I have used several, like the Hollands and Vortex the best I have been running the Horus, ASLI on my go to big guns, kills two birds with one shot and I like the angle and math readings.

11. Outlaw6.0

12. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

I use them,even a Bsquare $15 type works fine. I shot archery for years,with bubble, and you would use the cant for some wind hold on purpose,shooting 3-d.