Upgrading from Hornady 165 SST Superformance in .308 Win.

TravisN

I have been shooting the Hornady 165 SST Superformance for the past couple of years in my .308 Win. I have been getting good groupings out to 300 yards and have had no problem dropping everything up to cow elk in their tracks. I am interested in trying the Berger VLDs especially in the heavier weights to get a better BC for longer range shooting and hunting. HSM loads the 185 grain VLD but its muzzle velocity is only 2606 compared to the SST at 2840.

If I were to get into handloading, what is the maximum safest load (muzzle velocity) for the 175 or 185 VLD in a .308 Win.? What experiences do you guys have with these bullets (e.g., grouping, velocity, etc.)?

I'll let the avid 308 shooters provide load data. The Bergers are superb. I well remember when I first tried them. I had shot strictly hunting bullets until then. The Bergers provided a whole new level of accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.