Hornady Superformance

Safe bet that Hornady will do whatever they feel yields the greatest profit with the least risk. How that works in the case of any special powder blended factory ammo - probably only the Hornady executives know.

I believe Federal has done the same thing with their Premium High Energy factory ammo. It seems to be directed towards getting the edge in factory ammo sales. If they can send their factory loads a little faster than the competition, up go their sales.

The bigger question is why aren't one or more of the major powder manufacturer's, like Hodgdon, Alliant, etc, who primarily or solely manufacture and sell gun powder - making similar blends available. Those are the outfits that should be taking the lead on innovative powder blends, even if they didn't come up with the concept on their own. One or more of them must already be making any 'special' powders for Hornady and Federal. So what's keeping them from developing their own super duper powders and adding them to their currently existing line of products. Their must be something we don't know, because if there's easy money to be made, one of these outfits would certainly get with it and do it.

Exactly, that's what make me think there is a bunch of smoke and mirrors.

Steve

Is it possible that Hornady and Federal get what they believe is an optimal blend from xyz powder manufacturer and then internally Hornady and Federal put some magic whatever chemical or compound into the powder?

Wouldn't it be possible to buy some superperformance ammo from them and have the powder put through chemical analysis...you know one of those instruments that determines each and every chemical and it's percentage?

I can tell you, I took a Hornady 180gr Heavy Mag for a .300 Win Mag and pulled the bullet. The powder was so compressed I had to beat the sides of the brass with a piece of 50 BMG brass to break the powder free. If I remember correctly, the powder when all extracted was 86 grains. When fired the cases show no signs of pressure, and they do get the advertised 3100fps from a 24" barreled Ruger M77. This paticular rifle, stuck the bolt with 81gr of Retumbo behind a 200gr bullet.

I also remember reading about someone with some Light Magnum ammo for a 7-08 or 308. They pulled the bullet and the powder began spilling out the top of the case.

So I dont know how they do that voo doo that they do,...so well :D

Is it possible that Hornady and Federal get what they believe is an optimal blend from xyz powder manufacturer and then internally Hornady and Federal put some magic whatever chemical or compound into the powder?

I doubt it. Powder manufacturing is a specialty business with many hazards that have to be controlled. I don't think any business other than one that specialized in the manufacture, production, and quality control of smokeless powder would start messing around with batches of gun powder in any of their plants. Otherwise - poof! No eyebrows and lawsuits.

These plants periodically blow up even with all their safety protocols and procedures.

They are claiming more than just speed. They are claiming less pressure and significantly less muzzle blast producing less turbulence around the bullet on exit from the muzzle. Resulting in better accuracy, and a more complete burn.

Seems like we are being teased.

Steve

Sounds like the same claims being made for RL17. Progressive burn rate which limits peak pressure but optimizes average pressure. The secret with the Light Magnum ammo was a loading technique that maximized the powder charge. That is why some of the light mag ammo did not gain much velocity and other loads did depending on the load density. It would also explain the higher recoil and muzzle pressure with the light mag stuff compared to Superperformance ammo. I understand some of the 06 light mag loads had 67 grains of powder. I actually measured some of the 165 grain interbond light mags and I think the powder charge was in the 63+ grain range when I weighed it. I could not get the powder back into the case with out the bullet pushing back out.

A simple solution to higher than average velocity levels is VV N500 series powders.

The first time I ever tested N540 I was using the 178 AMAX in my Hart 11x 308 barrel. The first shot over the chrony was over 2750 FPS. The recoil was so light and the primer was so normal with the speed so high even at reduced loads, I stopped shooting and went home to pull bullets because I was afraid I had accidentally loaded 155 AMAX's. I learned that I had not loaded the wrong bullets and resumed testing. They ran all the way up to just over 2850 before there was a slight hint of bolt click. When I tested the 168 AMAX, I quit after hitting the 2950 mark. Even though there was no bolt click or stick, I decided enough was enough and settled on 2830.

There are some legitimate products out there that perform as advertised. They are few and far between. Even though I have an opinion on Hornady loaded ammo, I think their bullets rock. They have always exceeded my expectations.

There are some legitimate products out there that perform as advertised. They are few and far between. Even though I have an opinion on Hornady loaded ammo, I think their bullets rock. They have always exceeded my expectations.

Ever had a good experience with the accuracy of Hornady Interbonds? Curious because my experiences were poor and most of what I've read has matched my own experiences. Which Hornady bullets do you like/use for LRH? Amax?

Good article in the January 'American Rifleman' on this powder. Goes into some depth.

"The flattened-shaped propellants, which have a deterrent specifically placed to optimize progressiveness, as well as surface coating to improve temperature insensitivity, are designed to be consumed before the bullet exits the muzzle." Also blending powders, of course.

That might just be fancy language, but in reading the article, it seemed to be the salient sentance in terms of what they've done to the exent that they'll tell us, that is.

Jon

Ever had a good experience with the accuracy of Hornady Interbonds? Curious because my experiences were poor and most of what I've read has matched my own experiences. Which Hornady bullets do you like/use for LRH? Amax?

To be honest, I have never used the Interbond. I have had excellent results with the SP, BTSP, and AMAX's. The AMAX's have been the most accurate bullets I have ever shot. In 4 different rifles, the AMAX shined over all others and every one of my personal best groups at 100, 300 and 1000 yards have been with the AMAX, 3 shot and 5 shot.

My only problem with the AMAX is that while it is an excellent (IMHO) up to deer size bullet, it is not well suited for elk, big bears or moose. Even the esteemed AMAX has limitations.

For such species I defer to a stouter bullet such as the ACCUBOND or TSX/TTSX. Sometimes even the Hornady BTSP's. I prefer the ACCUBOND though.

I havent used the Interbond either. But I find the plain ole Interlock to be a very accurate bullet. I use the 180's in my .300 Win Mag and 225's in my .338 Win Mag, and now Im even experimenting with them in my .300 RUM. I'm not sure how they will perform on deer leaving out at 3300-3400 fps. But the 180's performed flawless in the Win Mag leaving at 3100. 385 yards, 6 pointer slightly quartering away. Exit hole on the off side shoulder was a little bigger than a golf ball, and the deer dropped in his tracks.

My only problem with the AMAX is that while it is an excellent (IMHO) up to deer size bullet, it is not well suited for elk, big bears or moose.

For such species I defer to a stouter bullet such as the ACCUBOND or TSX/TTSX. Sometimes even the Hornady BTSP's. I prefer the ACCUBOND though.

Thanks. I've consistently read and heard good results with the AMAX. I like the Accubond also when I need a stouter bullet. For a bonded-core bullet, the Accubonds shot much better than the Interbonds in my rifles. I also periodically load TSX for a bear/camp/carry-in-the-magazine up close in your face load. Never put the TSX to accuracy tests since my plans for them are the closer encounters or bear defense loads.

Thanks. I've consistently read and heard good results with the AMAX. I like the Accubond also when I need a stouter bullet. For a bonded-core bullet, the Accubonds shot much better than the Interbonds in my rifles. I also periodically load TSX for a bear/camp/carry-in-the-magazine up close in your face load. Never put the TSX to accuracy tests since my plans for them are the closer encounters or bear defense loads.

I have never put the TSX's through serious paces but what I have seen from them has been very promising. I cannot say that about the MRX bullet. I would have to say the MRX is about as bad a bullet as I have ever shot. About 11 years ago my 'goto' load was 43.5 of IMR4064 under the 180 XBT (before the TSX) and it was a solid load. 1/2 MOA any day any time. I harvested my first moose with that load. The design of the TSX in theory should lend itself to better accuacy than the older, sleeker XBT's. The old XBT's were shaped more like the VLD and the TSX are shaped more like the SMK except for the bands and the boattail.

Hornady claims a 200fps advantage over standard products and I believe them for several reasons. First is powder mfg in USA is sorta like car battery mfg, there are only so many powder mills ( probably less than 6) in the whole USA and they and the business is tightly controlled. Olin Matheson Chemical Co ( Winchester powder ) is behind most of the powder research and development in the USA in some way or other. Same way there are probably not more than 12 car battery manufacturERS in the whole USA. Keep in mind I said manufacturer, not a can of powder with a Brand X label or a car battery with Sears label on it. Powder mfg is a chemical process and there are many secrets for good reason. Profit is only one reason.

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/superformance-technology.pdf

The other thing is as soon as Superformance was unveiled the Hornady Light Magnum and Hornady Heavy Magnum ammo supply dried up immediately ( as Hornady no longer mfg it ). I knew something was up as I burnt up a ton of Hvy Mag ammo and it got unavailable QUICKLY. Superformance replaced it at a considerable cost savings to the shooter ( 29.99 vs the former 42.99).

They say the secret is in the powder and Hornady can keep that secret for 21 years. That way they get paid for the R & D that ( somebody) did. Reloaders, you'll just have to grow your beards and wait...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts