Upgrading Dies...Which ones?

Note that Sierra Bullets uses Redding full bushing and seating dies for their accuracy tests on bullets. Their best match bullets shoot at BR levels (sub 1/4 MOA at short ranges) with such dies. Others have used other makes of full length sizing dies and presses and also equalled what BR rifles do.

Then there's those who've used brand new virgin brass cases and shot groups at 1000 yards equalling what the LR BR folks do. A recent record was set with brand new cases.

guess that's why 80% of their bullets don't shoot in my rifles<g>! Seriously, I use mostly Hornaday and Nosler bullets these days as the Sierras never seem to group well in anything I own or have owned.

I know of nobody shooting benchrest that uses any of the common brands of bullets in matches. Most all use custom made stuff from somebody's basement. Still I think the bullet brand has little to do with the groups being shot these days (as long as they are good bullets). It's more or less the shooter and the barrel.
gary

Check the neck wall thickness on that Winchester brass and I am willing to bet your going to find they are not consistant. Use a good micrometer and take 3-4 measurements around the neck on each piece. Basically looking for a high spot. This is very common with cheap brass and the main reason it sells so cheap. Less common with Lapua, Norma, and Nosler brass where the quality control is much better.

If you find they are not consistant then you would have to turn necks as that is more than likely your runout problem however, using better brass will save you all the work.

Hate to see you spend money on new dies when all along it was the brass in the first place. I prefer to use the Lee collect dies and produce ammo with less than .0005 runout consistantly. Dies cost me $28.00 so IMO you don't need those big dollar dies to make good ammo however, you do need good brass to work with.

Good luck

Thanks. The brass I was using for the rifle is probably going to get tossed since more than half of them have loose primer pockets. I'll probably pick up some Nosler or Norma brass to start with. I was considering a Lee collet die but they don't list one for the 264 and to my understanding, their turn around time is about 6 months on custom orders. I would like to get this rifle up and running for the upcoming spring bear season so I'll probably end up fireforming some new brass, checking necks and turning if necessary and setting my existing die up to bump the shoulders to fit the new chamber nicely and see what I end up with. With a little luck, it will shoot as nice as it looks!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.