Up the road from me woodchucks.

Ohlongarm

A surgeon has this beautiful 30 acres ,grass like a golf course ,with an edge of old apple trees and rocks, the chucks love it shot these three today,100 yards,all about the same, the 17 wsm hit one below his right eye not a good day for him. The wind took me a little off course was trying between the eyes. I've exclusive to this place, great place to call coyotes, I'll post a picture of where I shoot from a thirty foot tower.One came out from the apple tree roots,another from this rock pile,and one along the grassy edge, I can see a long way from that tower, as you can see from the picture.

Attachments

• tuneup.jpg
    tuneup.jpg
    471.9 KB · Views: 267
  • tuneup1.jpg
    tuneup1.jpg
    517.1 KB · Views: 279
  • tuneup2.jpg
    tuneup2.jpg
    507 KB · Views: 276
  • tuneup3.jpg
    tuneup3.jpg
    484.9 KB · Views: 261
  • tuneup4.jpg
    tuneup4.jpg
    552 KB · Views: 280
That 17 wsm of yours getting lots of action here lately. I'm a big fan of mine too . But most of my old woodchuck shooting places are void of chucks and have been for several years. That was the whole reason I bought my first 204 ruger. Was to hunt whistle pigs with it. But ol well they get used on other critters just the same . I love shooting crows in the back walking away from me that's a feather pillow in a fan for sure

That 17 wsm of yours getting lots of action here lately. I'm a big fan of mine too . But most of my old woodchuck shooting places are void of chucks and have been for several years. That was the whole reason I bought my first 204 ruger. Was to hunt whistle pigs with it. But ol well they get used on other critters just the same . I love shooting crows in the back walking away from me that's a feather pillow in a fan for sure
I sure like this rifle since i had it worked on, haven't missed a shot yet, but anything's possible, it sure puts them down even out to 200 yards, report is mild. The 204 is coming out this week another place i have 1150 acres ,guarantees long shots. Anxious to whack a few coyotes this winter, only one so far but drt.The graphic photo shows i was off about half an inch but at 100 yds with a 10 to 15 mph wind ,no complains, have to compensate, he almost got it between the eyes.

That's fantastic! Love my wsm as well. Knocks the daylights out of squirrels and rock chuck. My kills all go to the eagles and hawks. Some get a little impatient and start gobbling em up while im still hammering a field. Bald eagles and a few golden. It's as cool to watch them devour them as it is to shoot. Keep those pix coming! Cant wait for squirrels to come out. Getting itchy

1 thing, Eagles & birds of prey may get lead poisoning. So plastic, or non lead only for bird food.

In the western states we have the western yellow bellied marmot, AKA rockchuck - these creatures are very similar to the eastern woodchuck, AKA ground hog. I would not want to eat any member of the order Rodentia (gnawing creatures). I was told that in times past western ranchers/farmers chopped the chucks up with a hatchet/ax and rendered the pieces down in a big hot cast iron frying pan to obtain grease/fat used to preserve leather saddles (pants might smell bad) & harnesses. Hopefully that utensil was not used for the next AM breakfast preparation(s). The tiny little .17 bullet should be of little consequence in regards to avian and canine lead poisoning.

The 17 WSM would be a natural for disposing of these rodents in an area that is sort of populated especially to preserve the appearance and property values of the site.

I prefer to use a, 20 P, .204R with 40 Vmax's, .22-.250 with 75 ELD's or 6mm AI with 87 Vmax's. My little .17 HRM is used for gophers (ground squirrels). The nice farmer lady where I shoot insists that I bury the dead rodents - like scoop them up with a shovel & dump them in a pre-dug hole.

1 thing, Eagles & birds of prey may get lead poisoning. So plastic, or non lead only for bird food.
In regards to the potential of lead poisoning. I will pass on the opportunity to start this debate for the billionth time.. But rest easy, i am in the beautiful state of California, we are 100% lead free and have been for quite a while. Any wildlife taken must be done so with non toxic ammo, even bird food. Winchester 15 grain in 17wsm at 3300+ fps does the trick.

Mine get copper poisoning! Or, when using cup core bullets, usually pass through, but I agree.
I love seeing them around my area. We see lots of them during deer season, when renderings are disposed of in the fields. They always show up.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts