Varmint hunting road trip questions...

mmaher

So, my freind and I want to drive on a road trip to shoot coyotes and Prarie dogs. Just a fun trip, eat well, talk junk, and shoot ALOT OF CRITTERS.

We are in NC, and want to drive out west, might be The Dakotas, might be Wyoming, we really don't know where one might partake of said varmints on a crusade such as ours.

In your respective areas of operation, where might be a lot of public land in which we might could go? Any good ideas from the crowd? We don't have any connections west of the Mississippi, so we are kinda stumped. We don't mind paying, and would like to bust some yotes in daylight. We are all running thermal here in NC.

Start by doing map research. I have been using BaseMaps and Google Maps.

BaseMaps will show you state land and BLM land. By reviewing maps, it gives you an idea where you want to go. After you get there continue reviewing maps and check nearby areas. If you want to hunt for 3 days, I would plan on at least 4 days. After you get to your destination, it may not work out and you will want to go to the next place. The first time you go is a lot of scouting of areas. I use BaseMaps since it so much cheaper than OnX. They both show the same information.

Looking over BaseMaps and Google Maps will help you find spots to go. The photo below is an area where I go. The white dots are not meteorite impacts.

Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at 10.19.52 AM.png

Do you think that a guided hunt would be more cost effective given today's fuel prices? I saw a guided hunt in Kansas which would be closer to you.
When I first started hunting sage rats, I did a guided hunt. I found it to be very informative. The company I used was very helpful and didn't try to hide any "secrets". It was well worth the money for a guide for me when I first got started.

When I first started hunting sage rats, I did a guided hunt. I found it to be very informative. The company I used was very helpful and didn't try to hide any "secrets". It was well worth the money for a guide for me when I first got started.
I was thinking more of since they're taking a road trip out as far as Wyoming maybe a guided hunt nearer to them might be more fruitful than going to a new public spot. But yes when getting started a guided hunt can prove insightful.

For your first trip I would recommend a guided / pay to play hunt. This will allow you to get some shooting done instead of driving around aimlessly looking for a land owner… Many of the ranchers own so much property that it is hard to actually find where they live to even ask for permission. Stop at guns shops, hardware stores, independent diners and such to inquire about places to shoot. Remember to respect the land and the owner's rules. I was introduced to a rancher at a little road diner during lunch one day and after a short chat he allowed me and my buddy to shot on a piece of his property. We were to follow him when we left but I got his check from the waitress and paid it with mine upon leaving. He was speechless and thankful and now about 10 year later, we still hunt his property. When I leave a shooting spot there is no evidence left that I was ever there… In 10 years of hunting Wyoming I have changed flat tires, fixed fences and herded cows. I even picked up a Rx at the local pharmacy for a sick family member one time. It is about cultivating relationships and trust that will get you shooting at places never shot or even seen by a hunter before.

If you have onX they have a base layer map that shows where people have marked P-Dog towns. (You will probably have to buy the state you plan on hunting to get the info.) I have used that feature in Wyoming and found the marked towns to be accurate. We have found new shooting areas just by looking at that onX feature. If you are going to drive it would definitely be worth the extra bucks to buy the onX state info.

I was thinking more of since they're taking a road trip out as far as Wyoming maybe a guided hunt nearer to them might be more fruitful than going to a new public spot. But yes when getting started a guided hunt can prove insightful.
I ran an ad on the net looking for a place to shoot. I got a call from a guy in Colorado. P Dogs are down, but hoping for a comeback soon. But I think $300. per day per person was really way too much to pay to rid the PD's. If hunting Yotes, maybe not to bad. I don't know that I can, or would pay that much unless it was for meat I can eat!

I ran an ad on the net looking for a place to shoot. I got a call from a guy in Colorado. P Dogs are down, but hoping for a comeback soon. But I think $300. per day per person was really way too much to pay to rid the PD's. If hunting Yotes, maybe not to bad. I don't know that I can, or would pay that much unless it was for meat I can eat!
It all depend on the person's location, budget, and availability. I won't pay to hunt rats, coyotes, deer, or elk. I can do all that close to my house. But I paid to hunt in Alaska when I lived in So Cal. I won't pay a guide to fish freshwater either. But a Baja California trip I've done that in the past. For someone that lives back East to pay to hunt prairie dogs with a good group of friends might be just their slice of heaven. Some things are worth paying for.