Up sizing brass

woodnut

Well, I'm frustrated! I have some 17 PPC brass I wanted to enlarge to 20 PPC. Bought the only tapered expander button I could find, at Brownell's, and even with a bit of lube, most brass would split! Unfortunately, the button goes from 17 to 22; but I thought the brass would expand and I'd then resize to 20. WRONG !
HELP! Has anyone done this ? What is the proper way to do it. Or do I just have to toss the brass.

I do all my upsizing with an expander mandrel in steps like Jon mentioned above.
Using the tools you have on have I would try starting it with the button expander you have. Don't go too far, just enough to flare the mouth so your 20 cal die expander (assuming you have a full length sizing due and not bushing die??) will fit in without crushing the shoulder. Then run it through the die with a ton of lube. That way you avoid going all the way up to .224".

Going from .172" to .204" is pretty big with no intermediate step.
I would definitely anneal before this, and use a 20cal mandrel.
Maybe you could adjust your taper expander to bump the necks up ~halfway (~.188), and anneal again before the 20cal mandrel.
Don't forget that your necks will thin around ~1.5thou with this.

If this is a long term need then PMA makes longer "neck up" mandrels and offer custom services, you might could call them and get a long 17 to 20 tapered mandrel. I use their 224 to 6mm mandrel in carbide with good results.

Also, if you can find a 20 cal turning arbor/mandrel is will be slightly undersized compared to a standard expanding mandrel, every bit might help on that small a neck.

If this is a long term need then PMA makes longer "neck up" mandrels and offer custom services, you might could call them and get a long 17 to 20 tapered mandrel. I use their 224 to 6mm mandrel in carbide with good results.

Is the carbide worth the extra $40+ over the steel?

Probably not necessary just for necking up unless you're doing very large number of cases or using a progressive press. For a turning arbor yes because you get more friction and heat from steel and it will eventually gall and have to be cleaned no matter what kind of lube you use. Carbide will put that off longer.

Guys, I can't thank you enough for all your help! I was up til midnight and found sizing dies with holes big enough to accommodate the PPC case, a 19 cal. expander button and with the tapered expander button, got started without ruining a case. Will restart today and see if the 20 button will finish it.
Funny, I still need powder! Lol. All my other 20 PPC cases took about all of my powder I use in it. This is just a try at saving some brass, so something to do on a rainy day.
Thanks again ! I appreciate all your help!

I size 17 Fireball through a Hornady 20 Vartarg die with no problems at all. Also 30-06 to 338, and 8x57 to 9.3x57 with one pass in a FL die.
You probably should anneal first like suggested above.

Well, I'm frustrated! I have some 17 PPC brass I wanted to enlarge to 20 PPC. Bought the only tapered expander button I could find, at Brownell's, and even with a bit of lube, most brass would split! Unfortunately, the button goes from 17 to 22; but I thought the brass would expand and I'd then resize to 20. WRONG !
HELP! Has anyone done this ? What is the proper way to do it. Or do I just have to toss the brass.
Perhaps one of the other elliptical expander balls like Hornady and RCBS

Well, I did manage to salvage about 50 pcs. of old brass. I also found some load data with a powder I have, so the next step is to see if the work I did was worth it by working up some loads. They have been sized, shortened, flared and beveled. Need to prime, load and shoot. It's been interesting doing this and getting all y'alls input. You have been most helpful! Thank you!

Well, I did manage to salvage about 50 pcs. of old brass. I also found some load data with a powder I have, so the next step is to see if the work I did was worth it by working up some loads. They have been sized, shortened, flared and beveled. Need to prime, load and shoot. It's been interesting doing this and getting all y'alls input. You have been most helpful! Thank you!
FYI: The .22 Hornet has brass that is NOTORIOUS for splitting, even just when reloading. Your .17 PPC may be similar. As already offered and accepted, annealing and a more gentle taper to the expander will be in order.