Unwanted attention at shooting ranges?

There's loud and then there's LOUD! I occasionally shoot my employer's 50 BMG rifle at a nearby public range to get it ready for a big ballistics test. The company private range is 2 hours away, compared to 45 minutes to the public range. I always set up that gun at the end of the line and warn people next to me before I fire it. People always come over to see it. Someone usually asks if it's legal (which it isn't in California), so I have to explain that I have a permit.

I friend of mine with a similar 50 BMG rifle set his up on one bench. Then he set up his AR-10 rifle with a small bipod on the next bench. When he shot the 50 the first time that day, the muzzle blast blew his AR-10 right off the bench onto the floor! I saw it happen and it was funny as hell.

I friend of mine with a similar 50 BMG rifle set his up on one bench. Then he set up his AR-10 rifle with a small bipod on the next bench. When he shot the 50 the first time that day, the muzzle blast blew his AR-10 right off the bench onto the floor! I saw it happen and it was funny as hell.

A .50 on the next bench blew a box of .338 RUM off my bench. Fortunately I had stepped off, and behind. Cured me of any lingering thoughts I might like one.

Etiquette goes both ways. Muzzle brakes are obnoxious. They are. They can and will destroy the experience for those around you. Many times a guy will show up and set up next to those who are already there and make it difficult or impossible for them to finish their work. It is difficult to shoot well when you are getting concussion in the face when breaking the shot.

If you have to have a massive break to handle your rifle perhaps you should use some courtesy and shoot it when the range isnt busy so you arent monopolizing a public asset. You are purposely redirecting muzzle blast towards fellow shooters...dont expect them to be happy or accepting of thst anymore than you would be if they sat there with an air horn pointed at you and blasted you with it everytime you settled in.

Get a suppressor, and everyone is happy and you will shoot better to boot.

At my local range, which is a camping, fishing, shooting, membership only type place, a member who lives just down the road comes by to check out what I'm shooting and to talk rifles and such. At first it didn't really strike me as odd when he asked if I reloaded. I just thought he was making small talk. But the more he shows up and asks, I realize all he wants is my brass. He's constantly walking around digging through the trash cans and looking on the ground. He's a nice guy and probably could reach me a few things, it just reminds me of a vulture circling. Kind of annoying. After the first 3 or 4 rounds go off, I hear the truck pull up and here he comes again, circling.

I used to shoot a lot at a public DNR range before I had my own land. I can't recall anyone drawing attention for their rifle except when someone brought an obvious high-end custom one.

I had to laugh at the seagull comment though, there was one of those there. A retired guy who must have spent most of his time at the range dragging a dolly with his guns up and down the line, I can't say I ever saw him fire a shot. But boy did he have advice for everybody, and we were all doing it wrong according to him.

I don't mind people showing up with braked rifles. I will tolerate the noise and be considerate to their need to shoot as long as they are considerate to the issues they bring to the range. Sitting down right next to someone already set up and shooting when there are three empty benches in a row at the end of the range is NOT cool. I have to think anyone who does that has never sat down next to someone shooting a brake and tried to maintain accurate fire as they are randomly blasted in the face by the guy next to them. That, and semi-auto guys who did not use the range-provided hanging brass stoppers and thought nothing of spraying hot brass onto the person next to them.

Fenix is correct.... You should see what it's like when I brake out my cans. and/or when I start shooting subsonic rounds. I have to wait until everyone is gone or until the old timers are there that won't bother me or I will have a small crowd around.

A LOT of people go there to show off. I mean it's a bit of a status thing to have 4-6k dollar rifle with another 2-4k scope on it.

That's why I don't go to ranges often. Besides, not many mile ranges around. :)

I've experienced all of it. Of course without the cans or sub sonics but the guys that can have/do have them get it too.

I beat the look-e-loos by going to the public range week days, evenings or "private" time. Being past president has it's privileges :D. Well also volunteering for some jobs and being a certified RSO so I can be there as the RSO, I'm never alone there so it's all good.

but even with that, custom, shiny, big, loud or obviously accurate gets onlookers and sometimes I don't have the time window and "have to" be there when more "public" shooters are at the range. They onlookers are sometimes disruptive and sometimes I am the nuisance.

I do like quieting the MSR with "flash hider" rapid shooter guys or groups with a rather large concussion wave from a Weatherby, Nosler Wild Cat, RUM or Edge.

We test anything bigger than 338 that is long range in private time. Way too much disruption for the "public" shooters with brakes and concussion blast.

Be considerate of the Range Operator and RSOs and they will get your back. Of course they like donuts:D and pizza:D

All of these stories are exactly why I spent several thousand $$$$ about 30 years ago to build my own 1000 yd. range plus the fact that for a few years I was the RO for the local law enforcement agency I worked for and I was always amazed at the number of IDIOTS that showed up! If I had to shoot at a public range....I'd sell all my krap and take up mumbley-peg!!

I try very hard not to attract attention to myself. I really don't want others to see what I am shooting. These days the less people see the better you are with all the stealing going on. I figure if I mind my own business people should do the same.

I try very hard not to attract attention to myself. I really don't want others to see what I am shooting. These days the less people see the better you are with all the stealing going on. I figure if I mind my own business people should do the same.

That's my mentality as well. I'll talk to people if they ask but for the most part I try to stay out of the way.

I also have my own range. I have 140 acres at home but I have friends that like the range, when I go there I don't bring anything special. I would much rather shoot at home ,there I feel like I am on display.

If anyone has land/shooting range in the Greenville, SC area, I'd be willing to pay an annual fee in exchange for letting me use your property... Don't mind travelling a little but at this point I'm just trying to avoid public ranges at all. This would be ideal but I'm not going to hold my breath LOL.

I would much prefer to shoot in peace and not have to worry about others. Sighting in new scopes and load development are in the near future.

A good friend lives over on the west side of the state and in the last 30 years their range out in the country has been surrounded by houses. Of course the "neighbors" complained about the noise. They came up with a cheap fix. My friend owns a welding shop. He took two 55 gallon steel drums, cut 8" holes in both ends and welded them together. They wrapped 6" building insulation on the inside and supported it with chicken wire. they mounted these forward of each of the benches so that the first foot of your rifle barrel extends inside.
These are huge suppressors. Legal suppressors for everyone. The neighbors are happy, and the muzzle blast on the firing line is non-existent.

Well I'm a little far from you. I live in the mountian's of Utah. It would be a long ride LOL, but if you ever want to hunt some really BIG elk, drop me a line..

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.