Attention Lerch!

Below is the original email message, scince hotmail must not like your provider?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I am glad you thought the pictures were good!

The 80mm HD is a much better spotting scope for digiscoping than my 60mm standard. I bought that one because its the lightest model swarovski makes for my sheep hunts. I am very new to this as this was my first stab at digiscoping. I will try and pass on any key points that I picked up on.

First I made sure my scope was perfectly focused and the camera was zoomed all the way out. From there the auto focus in the camera sets itself. Then I zoom the camera up to the maximum 3.5x. By the way the scope is set at 20x NOT 60x!! I think some lenses on differant cameras do better than others. I was using a Nikon coolpix 990 which they dont make anymore but can be bought used on ebay. These are still to this day one of the best cameras to use as the give the some of the best crisp images. If you are trying to zoom the cammera past 3x or 4x you wont get very good pictures. Also the scope and camera both have to be perfectly still or the camera will constantly be refocusing every second while the image is moving. I used 2 tripods for the elk photos. One for the scope and one for the camera as it was very windy. When I used one tripod, the pictures were not very good. Its also best to use optical zoom and not digital zoom. On a couple pictures I set the camera to 3x and the scope to 60x. If there was any mirage or poor light, or even the slightest movment of camera or game, the pictures were no good. Every thing has to be perfect if using this settings.

Some tips someone else passed on to me:

1. Use an HD scope.

2. Use a fixed power eye piece as there are less lenses and more resolution.

3. Use a VERY fast shutter speed or ensure the camera is PERFECTLY still and game is not moving.

I hope these ideas help some. I am very new to it and hope to get better at it myself. Let me know how your next trip goes!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.