unit 33 wy elk hunt

handeerooster

I am looking at unit 33 in wy I have 4 points. Eastman's shows it as a yellow not sure if I should blow my points on a yellow unit. Anyone know if there are a good number of 300 plus bulls in this unit. It also looks like there is a lot of public but I cant find any maps that shop if there is access or if it is surrounded by private land. Any info will help.
Thanks

Although there is quite a bit of BLM land in 33 it does not have good access and that's why it has an * by it on the F&G website. I verified that with my land ownership CD ROM. Being a yellow chip unit, I would not waste 4 hard to come by PPs on it, but would look further north in the BigHorns themselves where there is plenty of National Forest to hunt and an excellent number of good bulls. If you can swing it, you may want to think about putting in for a reduced cow/calf tag up in one of those units and buy another PP this year. That way you would be able to get some on the ground experience and then put in for the bull tag the following year. When you draw that tag if you're a bow hunter the best hunt is in September during the rut. If you don't tag out with the bow, you can then hunt the October rifle season.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.