Colorado unit 54 elk hunt. .

pjosh6

I will be hunting this unit with a buddy for first rifle season.. I have never been to this area except looking at maps online. I plan to make 2-3 scouting trips up there this year before the season. just curious of what you guys would suggest. I am not saying for honey holes or what but just areas to look at. Scouting tips for summer and also September time frame? We will be backpacking in and plan to hike in 3-4 miles in then camp and hunt from there....

There are a lot of wilderness areas in 54, which suits what you are doing. My suggestion would be to try to access those wilderness areas from somewhere other than the trailheads. Those trailheads look like a sporting event parking lot during the seasons and there are a ton of guys out there with the exact same idea that you have (go in 3-4 miles and hunt from there). Find a way to separate yourself from everyone else who is accessing the area and you will be on the right track.

One other word of caution: be very careful of the weather if you are going to pack in. The weather during the 1st rifle season is a bit of a crapshoot. Last year, a big storm came through that area before and during the first few days of 1st rifle, dumping well over a foot of snow in some places. The last thing you want to do is put yourself in danger by being stuck back in that far.

You could try entering from the Soap Creek Campground.
Or go in from the north east corner up the Mill Castle trail and hunt below the Castles.
PM me and I'll put you into the West Elk Wilderness from a less traveled location.
I'll be out there in 3rd rifle myself. Hunted the area since 1988.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.