Understanding Ballistic Coefficient

Specialized

So I'm new to ballistic calculators, and have noticed that when I put in a particular round as my ammunition it asks for a BC. In another online calculator, it asks for two different numbers for BC. For example, I've seen numbers for "G1" and "G7" on Hornady boxes; how do I boil those down to a single BC? Do I average them? Can someone explain for us what these numbers are, and how to find them for a given projectile?

Last edited:
This… (source Ballistic AE)

0A862D49-2AD7-4A34-9430-2332054445FB.jpeg

BTW hunting application under 300-400 yards normal hunting calibers BC Wont matter. Only when pushing bullet way into its extremes you will need to adjust with BC. Even with premium bullets the numbers need truing to your situation.

So I'm new to ballistic calculators, and have noticed that when I put in a particular round as my ammunition it asks for a BC. In another online calculator, it asks for two different numbers for BC. For example, I've seen numbers for "G1" and "G7" on Hornady boxes; how do I boil those down to a single BC? Do I average them? Can someone explain for us what these numbers are, and how to find them for a given projectile?
It is asking you either a G1 or G7, not both. Use G7 if you know.

Here's a quick read on the difference between G1 and G7 >>>https://bergerbullets.com/faq-items/what-is-the-difference-between-g1-and-g7-bc/

Last edited:
When you choose either G1 or G7 it tells the ballistic calculator to use the drag model associated with the shape of the associated bullet.

Yes. You will get the better data woth G7 than G1 with most current boat tail bullets. With flat base, Spitzers, G1 will work just fine. Another thing to factor here is that BC changes in flight. And it changes with different velocity. It really isn't a fixed value, though it is usually stated as such in the specs of the bullets. Best thing to do if you want the best data is to use the trajectory validation tool in your app. When youbuse the tool, and you input your actual drops that you see at extended ranges, the app will ask you of you want to modify the BC to back-calculate, or if you want to modify the velocity to back-calculate. If you use a very reliable, very accurate means of measuring bullet speed (magneto or labradar). Then when you get to this point in the app, you would tell it to recalculate by changing the BC. Once that is done, you dial to the new drop value Tha the app provides, based on the adjusted BC, and if it provides you with a good hit elevation, then you tell the app to accept the modified BC. If you do this very carefully at varying distances, you will essentially create you own custom drag model, specific to your rifle, your bullet, your velocity, your twist, in your area.

This kinda goes back to the old saying....it goes something like this......"you don't need to fear a man with lots of rifle as much as you do a man with a single rifle that he knows like back of his hand"

If you go through these steps as well as other equipment/load validation you will learn a bunch and will be a better rifleman for it.

Yes. You will get the better data woth G7 than G1 with most current boat tail bullets. With flat base, Spitzers, G1 will work just fine. Another thing to factor here is that BC changes in flight. And it changes with different velocity. It really isn't a fixed value, though it is usually stated as such in the specs of the bullets. Best thing to do if you want the best data is to use the trajectory validation tool in your app. When youbuse the tool, and you input your actual drops that you see at extended ranges, the app will ask you of you want to modify the BC to back-calculate, or if you want to modify the velocity to back-calculate. If you use a very reliable, very accurate means of measuring bullet speed (magneto or labradar). Then when you get to this point in the app, you would tell it to recalculate by changing the BC. Once that is done, you dial to the new drop value Tha the app provides, based on the adjusted BC, and if it provides you with a good hit elevation, then you tell the app to accept the modified BC. If you do this very carefully at varying distances, you will essentially create you own custom drag model, specific to your rifle, your bullet, your velocity, your twist, in your area.

Which app will come up with an adjusted BC based on the drops the user enters?