ballistic coefficient and trigger adjustments?

jasonstewart

is adjusting the factory trigger difficult on a winchester model 70? this gun is new to me. i started shooting it at longer distances recently and have noticed that my trigger pull is really affecting my long range impact. at 500 yards i cannot get a tight pattern. at 400 im ok. 2" groups with three shots from a warm barrel. but i notice at 500 i cant really pattern at all. all bullets hit a 14" target, but its to irratic. also what bullet is best for the 300 win mag. as far as b.c. is concerned and long range energy/trajectory? thanks. jason

The trigger is very easy to work on. Just do a search and you should find a site with pictures to help you get through it. I cant remember the site I went to, but I was able to bring mine down to about 2lbs in about 10 min. All it takes is a real small set of wrenches, trigger pull gauge, and a little bit of common sense.

As for bullets for the 300 WM, depends on what you want to do with them. For hunting big game size of elk/bear, the 200g AB with a .588 BC is very very hard to beat.

For target shooting, the 190 VLD, 208 AMAX, or various 210g bullets are hard to beat, as is the 220g SMK.

Good luck!!

Where did you find the BC on the 200 accubond. I have some 208 Amax loaded for my 300 ultramag with a .648 BC and didn't realize the nosler was that high. Have you checked that out. If it is I am going to try it. That is the best BC I have heard of in a hunting bullet. Not that much of a trade off to get a well constructed hunting bullet.

Go to there website, its there...

There new book should have it in there as well...

It might not be exactly .588 as advertised, but its close enough...

.588 is a great BC for a 30 cal hunting bullet. Its what I used in my 300 RUM after seeing how bad 200g SMK's came apart on a big black bear hit behind the shoulder at about 225 yards or so. I decided I wanted a bullet that retained more then 20% of its weight on elk since I shoot for both shoulders, (elk aren't fun to track) I killed a couple elk with the 200g AB from my 300 RUM, furthest being 513 yards and they all had exits the size of baseballs/softballs...The 200g AB is the BEST hunting bullet in .30 cal period. The target bullets may have a little higher BC, but there performance is erratic to say the least. The AB will work from muzzle to 1K, behind the shoulder or in the shoulders. Just my personal experience. Give them a try, you'll probly like them.

BTW- I had some 208g AMAX prototypes to try out of my 300 RUM, but I ended up shooting the barrel out before I could try them. I rebarreled to 338 EDGE instead of 300 RUM.

I tried 125g NBT's, 150g NBT's, 180g NBT's, 200g SMK's, 200g AB's, 210g Berger VLD, 210g Wildcat ULD's, and 220g SMK's out of my 300 RUM.

My main hunting bullet was 200g AB at 3100fps.

Main target bullet was 210g Berger VLD at 3000fps.

This is where my 300 RUM shot best. I could run each of them 100fps more, but accuracy was not as good. The above loads would hit a 15" plate at 800 with 90% hit ratio so I saw no need to change.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.