Under $500 Scope

Catawampus

Hi All,
I am looking for a bright scope under $500 for long range hunting. I plan to put it on top of a Tikka T3 Lefty in 270WSM or 300WSM I used to shoot benchrest and have a lot of trigger time but have not hunted much and I am looking to book a hunt for whitetail and hogs down south some time next year. I want to be prepared for up to 4-500 yards in morning and evening light.

I have been looking at 4-16X50 scopes with BDC reticles and a 30mm tube seems like it would be an advantage. I have been considering the Vortex HS BDC, Nikon Monarch, Bushnell Elite, Millett Tactical and the Sightron SII as well as the Burris Fullfield. The Vortex is out in front but I am not sure the Long Range is in justified.

I have several variable power varmint scopes (Leupold, Bushnell, Burris) that have power up in the 20-32 range but am concerned that this is too much for my purpose. Is this an incorrect assumption? Would the Vortex 6.5-20 be a good candidate?

Sorry if this is a duplicate topic. I have seen some similar threads but could not find anythign that addresseda comparison of low light capabilities.

I appreciate any assistance that can be provided.

Thanks

j-man,
Thanks for the response. Can I ask a ton of questions?

How is the scope compared to others in low light?
What power do you typically use to take game?
What game to you use it for at what distance?
What gun, and what platform do you usually shoot off of?

Cheers

Catawumbus, I have two Vortex 6x20x44 scopes with the BDC reticule. One is on a 6.5x47 L Savage model 12 and the other is on a Ruger model 77 in 7mm mauser. I use the 6.5 for targets and varmints out to 700 yds. The Ruger is used on Deer out to 400 yds as that is as far as I have clear shooting at my camp.
With the scopes set on 20 power I can easily see a 6 inch square orange target middle Or a ground hog at 700 yds.
A friend of mine has a monarch scope and to my eyes the Vortex is clearer and brighter.
The BDC reticule is right on at the various ranges for the Ruger when sighted in at 100yds and shooting a 165 grain bullet at 2450 feet per second. I have tested this out to 400yds.
Russ

The low light transmission at all levels of magnification is very impressive. I was a die hard Leupold guy and sold my VX-3s to replace them with Vipers.

I can't recall the exact light transmission number but I believe it is around 94-96%.

When I am walking, I keep the scope at 6 power so I can make a quick shot if needs be. When I can take my time, I almost always use 20X. The BDC Reticle is accurate and you can download a custom drop chart from Vortex when you enter your ballistics into their G7 calculator.

Most of my big game hunting is whitetail and elk. For smaller game, I use a .223 that has a PST on top of it. My longest kill with the Viper 6.5-20 was a muley buck at 721 yards.

My primary big game gun is a Tikka T3 in .270WSM. The scope is mounted with an EGW 20 moa rail and Vortex low tactical rings.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Attachments

• 100_1153.jpg
    100_1153.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 92
Russ,
Thanks for the thorough answer. I am pretty much decided on a Vortex.

Jason,
Nice picture. It looks like you may have my next rig except for not being left handed. I have some questions for you about the Tikka and the WSM but they are off topic for this thread.

Would either of you see the 50MM (half inch increase) of ojective as a positive for added light or a negative for higher mounting?

Thanks again for all the great information.

Paul

Hi Paul,

You can contact me through my site in my signature line. As of Friday I have the full Vortex line at my disposal as well...

Personally I prefer the 50mm objective for light gathering. I was still able to use the low mounts with the rail since the rail elevated the scope a bit.

Feel free to contact me with any questions regarding Tikkas. As you can tell I'm kind of a Tikka nut!

-Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.