Best scope under $500

BigDaddyKane

OK all, here's the million dollar question... what is the absolute best scope for under $500??? I looked into Millett, Falcon, Vortex, etc; even some Bushnells and Burris... NEED YOUR ADVICE!!!!!!

REQUIREMENTS
-Min 50mm Objective lens
-Variable magnification with maximum magnification at least 15x
-Horus reticle, or similar range finding reticle (MilDot & MOA Grad OK)
-Turret graduation must be compatible with reticle. If MilDot Reticle then MilDot Clicks, got it?

I don't care about color, finish, length, or anything like that so long as it gets the job done.

This is an extreme distance predator hunting & range rifle in 300WM. We're talking 600 yds minimums

Please give make & model with the approx price. Thanks!​

That's a MilDot scope with MOA adjustments. It's either off because they are two completely different measurements, or it's off by the 8% because it isn't a good quality.

I found the Millett LR-S1, 6-25x56mm for $425 including shipping. So far this is the front runner. Illuminated MilDot with .1MRAD adjustments and includes the low profile mounting rings for the 35mm tube and 3" sun shade.

That's a MilDot scope with MOA adjustments. It's either off because they are two completely different measurements, or it's off by the 8% because it isn't a good quality.

I found the Millett LR-S1, 6-25x56mm for $425 including shipping. So far this is the front runner. Illuminated MilDot with .1MRAD adjustments and includes the low profile mounting rings for the 35mm tube and 3" sun shade.

You might want to read this thread before you get a Millet...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/millet-super-sniper-65168/index2.html

Here's a thread on the Clearidge...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/clearidge-ultra-xp5-33654/

If you do a search you'll find more. I don't like the Mil reticle combined with MOA turrets but I can live with it for $500 if it's a good scope and tracks reliably. i can live with he 8% click error also as it will not be mounted on my primary LR hunting rifle... That sports a NF NXS. Overall the only negative thing i have read on the Clearidge's is the 8% click error... other than that, I think they're a good choice for the $$$ and my next choice would be a Vortex Viper.

You might want to read this thread before you get a Millet...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/millet-super-sniper-65168/index2.html

Here's a thread on the Clearidge...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/clearidge-ultra-xp5-33654/

If you do a search you'll find more. I don't like the Mil reticle combined with MOA turrets but I can live with it for $500 if it's a good scope and tracks reliably. i can live with he 8% click error also as it will not be mounted on my primary LR hunting rifle... That sports a NF NXS. Overall the only negative thing i have read on the Clearidge's is the 8% click error... other than that, I think they're a good choice for the $$$ and my next choice would be a Vortex Viper.

I can live with the MOA/MilDot mix up as well, but who the hell would want to? If you're shelling out hundreds of dollars for something wouldn't you want it work as smoothly as possible? The math isn't impossible, but it's frustrating, now you have to figure out both MOA & MilDot then convert and adjust. And I certainly wouldn't spend any amount of money on a scope that I knew for a fact already had an 8% error straight from the factory. Again, adjusting for that isn't impossible, but frustrating. Especially when there are literally dozens of scopes out there that don't have that.

If you don't care for Millett then what about Falcon? Similar specs but the reviews are great. 5-25x56mm, MilDot/.1MRAD turrets. $465 at SWFA.

The Falcon looks like good scope, but I just haven't heard much about it so I'll pass on comment.

My next choice after the Clearidge would still be the Vortex Viper as they have a well known and good track record. That being said, they only click in MOA, so if mil is something you have to have then probably not for you.

On the tracking precision, a lot of scopes that advertise MOA are actually 1"... I believe Leupold and Ziess are both in this category? As well as a few others. Also, not many, if any lower end (under $1000) scopes have precise tracking and many or most have some error in them. If that's an issue with you, you might want to call their tech support/CS and see if they guarantee precise tracking? For $500 you're not going ot get a NF. My Clearidge will be used mostly for Varminting and I believe there are ballistic programs that allow you to correct for some error in your click value.

Hope you get what you want.

-Mark

I agree, for under $500 you have to make some sacrifices. But I'd like to minimize the sacrifices if I could. Only hesitation I have on the Falcon is the 5-Year Warranty, where most everything is warrantied for life. Perhaps not worth the buy?

Thanks for your input so far though. I appreciate it!

have you looked at sightron they make very nice scopes & have some of the best tracking system out there the sII line falls in under 500$

Hands down Weaver. They make a k24 that is 6-24 power that is a great scope. They are tuff as nails, clear and very reliable. I rolled a four wheeler 3 times with my weathery in the gun rack and rolled right over the scope. Went to the bottom of the hill, set up a target and spot on. I would guess you could look on ebay and would run $300-400. Very good for the money and more likely to be around than the others down the road. Weaver has been a reputable comp for ? 100yrs

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.