Undecided!!!

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by meanmrmustard, Feb 7, 2012.

1. meanmrmustard

meanmrmustard Active Member

Okay, so I have a conundrum of sorts. I am (happily) torn between three rifles. I am sure of caliber, which is 308 win., but I've come across these three in searching for an affordable range/deer/plinking/varmint rifle. This will be a nearly adaptable rifle for all forms of bolt action shooting I do. But which platform?

Savage 11 .308. (with crappy scope). $429
    Weatherby Vanguard .308 $429
    And lastly...Ruger Scout Carbine. $850

I have heard mixed reviews on them all. What do you folks think?

2. rscott5028

rscott5028 Well-Known Member

I'm not a Ruger fan. (not oppossed, but don't know much about that one) So, that one's out for me.

The other 2 are fairly even. Either one is capable.

The Savage would likely have more potential for DIY upgrades over time.

3. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

Weatherby Vanguard hands down best choice for low cost rifle. Ruger scout is on my list too but for a inside 300 yard rifle.

4. angus-5024

angus-5024 Well-Known Member

Wby Vangaurd by a landslide.

5. RMulhern

RMulhern Well-Known Member

Get a Remington M742! They're FANTASTIC!!

6. meanmrmustard

Why do I get the feeling of dread when you suggest that...

7. diriel

diriel Well-Known Member

The Ruger American Rifle™ Bolt-Action Rifle Models

What about the new Ruger American Rifle? I have not played with one, but they LOOK promising. In fact for the price, and from what I See, I have already decided to pick one up sometime this year to tinker with.

Anyone have any hands on with the Ruger RAR?

8. meanmrmustard

Just googled it. DAMN!!! Let us throw that one in too. I realize that it is new, anyone got it to compare???

9. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

Savage all the way! Sell the cheesy scope and get the one you want. It's a win, win situation. When you are ready to upgrade, get a new barrel. Though I am going to suggest the 10fp-sr. You get a heavy barrel contour in a usable length that will still optimize the .308's potential. The 11 will be good the FP-SR will be better. Just a thought. Either way you go, Savage is my choice.

Tank

10. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

Coin toss between the Savage and the Weatherby.

11. Dano5001

Dano5001 Well-Known Member

+1
    I like both of these, Savage is probably going to have more aftermarket support, but I would not hesitate to buy either one.

Enjoy your new rifle

12. meanmrmustard

Thanks fer the feedback, fellas. Still pondering though.

13. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Well-Known Member

Go shoulder them. I really liked the feel of the Weatherby, so after that it was no contest for me. I now have two Vanguards as a result.

14. meanmrmustard

Excuse the rant. I called cabelas last night, literally got a half hour run around on the phone, only to find they have misadvertised the pricing of their vanguards by $70, and do not carry one in the chambering I seek. After inquiring about the RAR and the Savage, I was promptly hung up on at 6:30 pm on a Thursday. Suffice it to say that in this instance, I am going cold turkey and quitting the big business monster known as Cabelas. Quantity of sales has eclipsed quality of customer service.

On a lighter note, my LGS says they're getting many of the RAR in next Wednesday! Unfortunately, Ruger I've just learned will only be pushing the .270 and 30-06 chamberings to start. .308 and other to follow. Damn.