ultra sonic cleaning

jackson

I normally tumble my brass to clean but I have heard great things about putting them into an ultrasonic cleaner. Has any one out there tried this and does it leave a film on the brass when it is done.

Heck yeah it works!! I have nothing but good things to say about the ultrasonic cleaner route. Inside of those cases are CLEAN.

First time I did it I was very pleased and dissapointed at the same time - it took abut 30 minutes to get them clean, but in looking back on it the issue was that the cases were all 6X fired - there was a LOT of crud in there. Second issue was that I was not using enough soap. Use more - big, long squirt. On brass that has been shot a lot the water will come out black.

My formula has been one hell of a big squirt of concentrated soap and a 30-30 case full of Lemishine (get it from Wal Mart). I make sure that every case is full of water (no air pockets), I notice where there is the cases do not clean nearly as well or as fast. I also turn the heater on in the cleaner - hot soapy water.

After they are done the first time I usually roll up a paper towel and twist it around each one to make sure all of the crud is off. This is just me, probably way to OCD - and for me case prep is a great way to zone out and decompress for a while. But also, if I am going to go through this trouble, might as well be perfect.:D

Once I am done with that I throw them into my vibratory cleaner, just to get rid of the water and clean it up some (add some shine) and remove any residue (there isn't any really with my way, but some also rinse them in hot water after it is done). Again, way too OCD and not needed, but it is what I do. But when when I follow this procedure, WOW, new brass. Inside is reflective.

When I first did this the inside was clean enough I could see flashole burrs that I missed originally, and I also had extremely clean case mouths in inside necks. Once I ran 0000 steel wool inside the necks the bullets went in great.

Like I said, first time takes a while, after that if you keep them clean after every firing you are at about 5 mins, max, depending on how much brass you throw in.

I got my ultrasonic cleaner at Harbor Freight, $50. Works great, no problems. What is also nice about it is that I got one big enough to throw my bolt in and clean it (not with water), and not worry about getting "way in there".

Good process and well worth the money IMHO. Wouldn't go back.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply benchrest people are very anal about everything but that is the differece between a sub 4inch group and a 9inch group.

I have heard nothing but good things about the US cleaners. Apparently, they can clean the flash holes better, which aids consistant ignition.

Reloading is all about consistancy, and this type of cleaner adds a better level of that critical element.

If you want some insanely clean brass, look up stainless steel media over on snipershide.com. That stuff rocks. But I am not paying for it - ultrasonic seems to get there **** near as good.

Jackson, for clarification, I am not a benchrester. I have however figured out that there are several of thier techniques that are very useful for a hunting rifle's accuracy, mine especially.

TLK

try 50 / 50 mix water and white vinagar, after, rince real well with hot water.then if you want, tumble them with polish MARK25-06

I bought this one a couple of months ago, it was on sale for around $60:

2.5 Liter Ultrasonic Cleaner

Works great.

Following the suggestions from 6mmbr.com in that I am using a 50/50 mix white vinegar/water mix with a very small amount of Dawn or a Simple Green as the soap. I run the heater also.

The solution will get quite dark. I move the brass around in the solution between runs.

I rinse the cases in a baking soda solution and then in fresh water after cleaning. The vinegar is acetic acid and will react with the brass, the baking soda nuetralizes the vinegar.

I also blow them out with the air compressor afterwards to dry them.

The timer on this unit has a max run time of 480 seconds, it will clean cases in 3 or 4 runs.

I can not believe how clean the primer pockets come out, look almost like I just ran the primer pocket uniformer in them.

The cases come out very clean, not shiny though. They may actually tarnish they are so clean.

I am very impressed to say the least.

I am not a competition benchrest shooter either, just like clean brass.

Last edited:
The Hornady seems like a pretty decent unit however I couldn't tell whether there was a strainer that comes with it, which would simplify brass removal.

Yup just got a Horandy cleaner last night. Ran 200 rounds of 6mmBR through it in two separate lots. All nice and purdy brass now! And yes it does come with a strainer.

Thanks Iowaboy. Glad to hear it has a strainer...I think I may just have to get one. Was your cleaning solution the one Hornady sells or your own custom blend?

Thanks a bunch guys I am sold on this now. Now to find a good one I like. I have all brand new brass so in theory it can start clean and stay clean.

I read the thread over on 6mmbr. Are you guys all just throwing your brass in the cleaner or are you putting the brass in beakers (jars) with the cleaning fluid in there and then set the jars in water in the cleaner? I was ready to do this until I read how you can't just put them in the cleaner and you have to "tune" the cleaner with water level etc...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.